Moravian Arms Patriot Pistol

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

capper

Moravian Arms Patriot Pistol

#1 Post by capper »

Has anyone made any new loading blocks for the .32 Patriot muzzle loading pistol. The standard blocks are 5 shot, just wondered if anyone had made the blocks in 6 shot, the yanks seem to have mastered them but I haven’t seen them in the U.K. These need to be proofed & a correct variation for them in the U.K.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Moravian Arms Patriot Pistol

#2 Post by Pete »

Why would anyone want to do this? Is there a competition that requires 6 shots in less time than it would take to swap blocks?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

I'm really surprised there's any enthusiasm for the Patriot in the USA, other that the novelty value, why would you? I enjoy shooting my Patriot but it's a poor substitute for the real thing. I have two bowl shot blocks and yes, I would like another couple of blocks but never seen any available.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
capper

#4 Post by capper »

If you wanted to shoot a modified pp1 adjusting the times to allow the shots taken. These are in multiples of 6, 12@25mtr, 2x6@15mtrs & the final 6@10mtrs. While there are other offerings available, the accuracy of the patriot is excellent.

#5 Post by 1066 »

I actually shot my Patriot this week for the first go of the turning targets I have made for our club.: Quite like old times. :)
https://youtu.be/jj9rOobuLCw
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
capper

#6 Post by capper »

That’s it I’m going to have to take mine to the range next time, are you using bullseye?

#7 Post by 1066 »

Yes, my measure throws around 1.1 gns of bullseye but I have better accuracy with 1.3gn bullseye with my 98gn cast wadcutter bullets. The original dedicated Patriot bullet was gas checked, I don't think they are still available, I've never used them. I use an RCBS mould - size to 312 and Alox lube.
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com
capper

#8 Post by capper »

I’ve used the .32 fwc from Shellhouse & they work ok, I’ve been using Vectan Ba10, it throws about .8gn but enough for 25mtrs, very clean in use as I found bullseye dirty but then it always was.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

Isn't ba10 like one of the fastest powders? Wouldn't you want to use more of a slower powder to get more consistent throws? As I can imagine .9 making a difference??
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns

#10 Post by 1066 »

I must say, I don't find the Patriot quite so finnicky to load for as my .32 Pardini was. (In the good old days) With the Patriot you have no problems about developing a load for accuracy and 100% reliability . With the old Pardini 1.2 gns bullseye was an accurate 25m load but no good for competition, as about 1 in 5 failed to feed. I found that the available measures just were not accurate enough at these very low loads so resorted to weighing every charge. This was unbelievable time consuming when shooting several times a week - Hence the development of the Targetmaster
TARGETMASTER
www.targetmasteruk.com