CIP verses SAMMI

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

CIP verses SAMMI

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

This still confuses me.
I have an Australian International Arms rifle Chambered in 7.62x39.
They are fitted with a screwed on Muzzle break with the front sight machined in. In my opinion this is why they are so inaccurate carbon builds up and messes up the muzzle. I have removed the screwed on front sight but the muzzle is a mess.
I toyed with the idea of re barrelling. If I have the barrel rechambered and sent for proof will they proof it if a SAMMI reamer is used or does it have to be a CIP reamer to get proofed in the UK.
Don,t ask me what me what SAMMI stands for or CIP because I have no idea.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: CIP verses SAMMI

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

they will stick a go/no go in, and fire it.

it's a screwed on muzzle device, proper cleaning would say to take it off and clean periodically. same as you would with a suppressor.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#3 Post by mag41uk »

Saami is US and CIP is EU. In essence both achieve the same thing. Chamber dimensions and pressure standards.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

So firearms imported into the Country from America that are Saami chambered do they have to be proofed in the UK before they can be sold the Likes of Ruger etc.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#5 Post by bradaz11 »

every firearm sold in the UK needs to be proofed, so yes.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

Such is the law, however a new firearm from the US that has been proofed means that any warranty is invalidated.

Usually warranty is dependant upon only in-spec factory ammunition being used, Proof house loads are overpressure handloads so warranty invalid.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
andrew375

#7 Post by andrew375 »

The main difference is that SAAMI is a trade association and the standards they published are just what they've agreed amongst themselves and compliance is voluntary and, as far as I know, not legally enforceable. The C.I.P. standards are set at nation state level and compliance is legally enforceable.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

bradaz11 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:10 am they will stick a go/no go in, and fire it.
So it makes no difference if a Saami reamer is used as long as its chambered using Saami gauges.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

Alpha1 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:10 pm
bradaz11 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:10 am they will stick a go/no go in, and fire it.
So it makes no difference if a Saami reamer is used as long as its chambered using Saami gauges.
They have a selection of gauges in the common cartridge sizes to try. When one fails try the other, it could save time for everyone involved and with my opinion on the veracity of proof (or its usefulness in determining the safeness of firearms) wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.
London are changing at least some of their gauges to a UK manufacturer's and each manufacturer and even each gauge will be slightly different but hopefully within tolerance.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

What I meant was as an example I have Saami reamers and Saami go and no go gauges. I can get Saami gauges and reamers if I wanted to.
I have CIP go and no go gauges but I don,t have CIP reamers. I have given up trying to buy CIP reamers in the UK.

So I should have them just cut the chamber using a Saami reamer and gauges and all will be good once its proofed.