Lock down

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Lock down

#21 Post by snayperskaya »

christel wrote:Wine is the answer, it enables you to run window programs on a Linux distro.

I do not need the programs so I do not use Wine.

If need be - example - Excel file - can be opened on a Linux distro without problems.

Open Office does it flawlessly - only problem might be when you send the program back to a Windows box, some of the formatting might change.

As I am running Sage/Excel for work I need a Windows box -when I retire out goes the Windows box and it will all be Linux.

Just for info...GIMP is one of the best graphics editors out there, all Linux.

I can count to potato wtf

All this computer talk you lot are speaking might as well be in Navajo!, I don't understand any of it!.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Chuck

#22 Post by Chuck »

It's all black magic and alchemy - no good will come of it I tell you, no good at all. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#23 Post by Alpha1 »

I have played with Linux but work wise everything I do and all the programs I work with are Windows based. I tend to build my own computers so I usually have one or two older units.
I suppose during this lock down I could have a play with some Linux stuff to help with the boredom.
I am at the stage now were I have had enough of being locked down the novelty has worn off.
Ralph
Past Supporter

#24 Post by Ralph »

Dragged a old 1945/46 Ariel NG that's been sitting for 30 odd years 2 of them
in my garage out into the light, a few hours over several lock down weeks and
we have a running bike with lights and a charging system, runs well, starts first
kick, the valve gear is a bit noisy but it pulls well better than I expected.

https://youtu.be/LMsE0YN2nnU

https://imgur.com/mg1iOiB
Ralph NW UK
Interested in muzzle loading and anything that makes a loud noise and goes fast.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#25 Post by snayperskaya »

goodjob that looks well for being sat for 30 years
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Christel
Site Admin

#26 Post by Christel »

Well impressed with the Ariel, well done.

Loads went to DK after the war.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#27 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Aerial is the perfect age in my eyes, rigid rear, girder front and post war ish. I rebuilt a 350 Enfield OHV from the same era and a 1946 build Norton 16H 500, the Norton was interesting to me as it was still rigid and girder but with a post war engine as opposed to throwing a can of pain of an ex WD as many retailers did at the time. Enjoy.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#28 Post by Pete »

Brilliant !! What year is it? My first bike (In 1957) was one of these:

https://www.rudge.club/rudge-motorcycle ... ts-special

It was originally attached to a sidecar frame and used by a local window cleaner to cart his ladders and buckets around. I gave him £15 for it.............(I was still at school).

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#29 Post by Ovenpaa »

Work is quieter than usual as we are not accepting any gun work or gun sales, machining and shiny stuff is steady however we have had some pare time on our hands. So far we have added a high level rack in the armoury and all but filled it, this was a nice job as we had all the materials to hand. We dropped the heights of our two benches/desks to suit the main bench which took a staggeringly long time to finish as everything had to be moved. As an example, I have A3 and A4 laser printers plus a Win10 box and wall mounted screen. Then move everything off the long bench and drag that out... you get the idea.

One thing we needed to do was make the workshop more secure for us and our visitors. Traditionally, people walk in and through the shop to the raised section and drop their guns down. Now we have a counter in place which segregates most of the machines from the office and bench area. To do this involved shifting a large vertical bandsaw which now sits on a very low machine trolley so the saw can be wheeled into a quiet corner and out when required and locks down in place when used. We have also been taking areas down, cleaning and sorting so we have actually worked some serious hours despite things being quiet.

I hate having nothing to do and even if we were locked down for 6 months I could still find jobs to do :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ralph
Past Supporter

#30 Post by Ralph »

The Rudge's were something special Pete I see one in the village now and then, quality.

The Ariel was Built late 1945 as a 1946 model, NG the NG was a pre war design that ended
up during the war as the military WNG mine was built just after the war when they were going back
to civilian work, it seems to be pretty original, frame, engine and gearbox numbers seem right
it should have black painted rims, no chrome just after the war and I am sure someone that knows
all about them will spot other things but next step once we are off the leash is to ride it, it seems
to pull well just up and down the drive.
Ralph NW UK
Interested in muzzle loading and anything that makes a loud noise and goes fast.