Face Masks ?

Moderator: dromia

channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

Face Masks ?

#1 Post by channel12 »

What is the purpose of face masks ?

Do i wear one in case I'm infected and transmit to others

Or is to protect myself from being infected by others ?

What ever the reason if wearing face masks was the answer then logically we can end the lockdown now ?
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

Re: Face Masks ?

#2 Post by Bovril »

They reduce the transmission of the virus through droplet spreading. They do nothing to prevent catching the virus from others.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#3 Post by strangesam »

The cloth and surgical type masks are not very effective at protecting the wearer. However they are quite effective at protecting those around the wearer (something like 70% less chance of infecting people).

The issue with Covid is people are transmitting the illness before they are experiencing symptoms, so they don't know they are infected. This is why everyone should be wearing a mask.

A properly fitted FFP2/3 (N95/N99) mask does protect the wearer, however it must be properly fitted, and good hygiene must be maintained by the wearer.

Having spoken to some friends in the NHS, the infection vectors are mouth, nose, eyes.

The microscopic droplets humans exhale as they breath, talk, sneeze, cough are how the virus particles get into other people mouth, nose and eyes generally (though there is also the path of touching contaminated surfaces and then rubbing your eyes or nose etc). A mask reduces the range and quantity of these droplets coming from the person wearing the mask.

I will be wearing a mask in public for the foreseeable future, not to protect myself, but to protect others if I am infectious.
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

strangesam + 1

Only protection for yourself is Level 3 or N95 masks which is what all front-line and NHS workers are wearing, it is pretty much impossible to buy these at the moment.

Here at the chapel we experimented with distance as we have put a counter in at the entrance, wanted to check that the 2m was enough, I stood on one side and Ovenpaa on the other, he laughed, shouted, spoke, coughed, 2m was minimum as I could feel his breath on my face when he shouted, smell coffee when he laughed. We are not open to the public and won't be until the Government says so and we are ready. We are of course machining and still shipping.

Please be aware about distance and how far everything carries.
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

#5 Post by Bovril »

For what it's worth, I'm front line NHS. I wear a surgical mask, eye protection, apron and gloves for all patient contact. If there are likely to be any aerosol generating procedures I wear a full powered respirator hood and either Tyvek suit or sleeved gown. My hand hygiene is obsessive. I don't wear uniform to or from work. I sanitise the car handles, steering wheel, gearstick and gear selector every time I get in or out. My uniform goes in a bag as soon as I finish shift and then goes direct into the waiting opened washing machine when I get in.
I've not set foot in a shop since it all began. I've not been out for exercise, not been to any friends or relatives houses, even socially distancing.

I'm currently off work having tested positive for covid 19 on Friday.

My suggestion? If you don't need to go out, don't. All the protective equipment in the world won't guarantee you won't get it.

I'm lucky, so far my symptoms are mild (so far) but I have a friend fitter than me that was in ICU in March following contracting it. Yes the elderly and those with underlying health conditions are hit worse, but relative youth and good health don't guarantee mild symptoms.
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

Bovril fingerscrossed
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Bovril hope your symptoms stay mild and thank you for your service.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

Bovril, you have the best wishes of the whole community I'm sure. And as Dromia said, thank you for your service.
My sister is an ICU nurse and was quarantined for having symptoms (before testing was really available) several weeks ago. She made a quick recovery and was back at work a couple of weeks later. Hopefully your recovery is as smooth as hers was.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Bovril best wishes and hope you recover quickly. A huge Thank you for your service.
RDC

#10 Post by RDC »

I certainly echo the sentiments of our fellow forumites.