Face masks and general PPE.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Face masks and general PPE.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I started a new thread because I did not want to hijack the face mask thread were people are responding to Bovril's situation.

I have been back at work this week trying to set things up so we can bring people back into the workplace. I have been super busy because currently we are only allowed two people in the Control room area.
Anyway to get to the point we have ordered in several hundreds of pounds of PPE equipment (Thousands overall actually). Face masks lots of different types some of them up to the NHS spec.
Face masks, Disposable gloves, Sanitizer, Some specialty face masks that far exceed the NHS guidelines because of the type of work we do.
The last parts of the order arrived today. Each person will be issued with a large box with all there personnel PPE in it once they start coming back into work.
So I spread these boxes out on the floor. Checked the invoices from the British Company we ordered them from to make sure everything was there and low and behold when I started opening the contents of the boxes they all have a bit of paper in them indicating they came from CHINA.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

Re: Face masks and general PPE.

#2 Post by Lancs Lad »

Alpha1 wrote:I started a new thread because I did not want to hijack the face mask thread were people are responding to Bovril's situation.

I have been back at work this week trying to set things up so we can bring people back into the workplace. I have been super busy because currently we are only allowed two people in the Control room area.
Anyway to get to the point we have ordered in several hundreds of pounds of PPE equipment (Thousands overall actually). Face masks lots of different types some of them up to the NHS spec.
Face masks, Disposable gloves, Sanitizer, Some specialty face masks that far exceed the NHS guidelines because of the type of work we do.
The last parts of the order arrived today. Each person will be issued with a large box with all there personnel PPE in it once they start coming back into work.
So I spread these boxes out on the floor. Checked the invoices from the British Company we ordered them from to make sure everything was there and low and behold when I started opening the contents of the boxes they all have a bit of paper in them indicating they came from CHINA.
Just out of interest ... who in your company actually did the ordering? I don't mean by name but by position.

:flag13: LL
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

A senior Manager would place the order. There is a group set up to decide what to buy.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by Pete »

But is there realistically any alternative?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

Alpha1 wrote: So I spread these boxes out on the floor. Checked the invoices from the British Company we ordered them from to make sure everything was there and low and behold when I started opening the contents of the boxes they all have a bit of paper in them indicating they came from CHINA.
I would be checking that stuff very carefully to see if its got the right C E Euro compliance codes on it all rather than the CE 'China Export' codes which means its likely non-compliant.

Don't forget at least 2 plane loads of stuff for the NHS from China was rejected as non-compliant, as was a plane load of stuff from Turkey, and Spain also rejected at least one plane load of PPE from China.
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

I will check them to morrow but the Company I work for is a large multinational Company with a puchasing and supply department. They only purchase from approved suppliers. Its not easy and it takes time to become an approved supplier.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#7 Post by GeeRam »

Alpha1 wrote:I will check them to morrow but the Company I work for is a large multinational Company with a puchasing and supply department. They only purchase from approved suppliers. Its not easy and it takes time to become an approved supplier.
Given the worldwide demand for this stuff at the moment, don't assume that means it's OK.

If Govt's can end up with supplies of the incorrect stuff, everyone can.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#8 Post by Lancs Lad »

GeeRam wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:I will check them to morrow but the Company I work for is a large multinational Company with a puchasing and supply department. They only purchase from approved suppliers. Its not easy and it takes time to become an approved supplier.
Given the worldwide demand for this stuff at the moment, don't assume that means it's OK.

If Govt's can end up with supplies of the incorrect stuff, everyone can.
In a previous life I was an HSE Manager with both UK and American large multinational companies.
Having viewed and inspected first-hand some of the equipment that our purchasing departments procured for our use, I would suggest that you take nothing for granted as a fair proportion of the kit that arrived in our warehouses went straight back to the 'approved supplier'. This as a result of the equipment not being to the required standard or lacking the necessary certification markings.
The UK Health & Safety Executive website will give you all the information that you need to enable you to make the appropriate choice of PPE. Their advice is free and should be your first port of call if there isn't a company H&S Manager that you can rely on.

:flag13: LL