channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

Mixed messages

#1 Post by channel12 »

Boris; Let's get the children back to school

Teaching Unions; No it's too dangerous

Labour Councils; We are not going to open the schools it's not safe

Starter; Boris is failing children by not letting them back to school

Meanwhile I'm getting on with redecorating my house.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Mixed messages

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

I àm back at home I went into work for about 10 days to write risk assessments and set up the work place for the guys to come back into work. Then they sent me home and told me they want me to work from home.
Boring boring boring.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by Pete »

And the latest.......... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53019360 we ain't seen nuthin yet..................

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Pete wrote:And the latest.......... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53019360 we ain't seen nuthin yet..................

Pete
The economy was always going to be the second tragedy of this pandemic...
Interesting how little effect brexit had on the economy in that graph!
Chuck

#5 Post by Chuck »

The ecomomy was already destined to crash - this virus is a handy diversion and excuse for all that can and will happen in the global economy meltdown that has been predicted for quite some time!

There's some serious wealth transfer going on as the likes of the USA print counterfeit money (QE LOL) to bail out their pals.

The house of cards bult on fantasy foundations is coming down big time.

What REALLy irks me is how so many eejits are buying into the "NEW NORMAL" carp. People are rolling over and accepting that their lives are going to be turned upside down and inside out to their own detriment whilst the big boys coin it in and rob the furlough and government bail out schemes blind.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
dave_303

#6 Post by dave_303 »

We've not been closed, I've been onsite twice during the lockdown (in addition to being on call from 9-5, marking, setting work and redoing the curriculum for next year, online training courses twice a week and trying to find ways of engaging kids who come from a socio-economic setting of not giving a crap about school in additional history) and now that year 10 are returning I will be on once every week.

What is contested is wider opening. My school (which is a massive site) reckons under the current 2m social distancing guidelines, we can fit 128 kids onsite. To put this in perspective, we have extended the number of vulnerable/key workers' children who come in to 90, plus a quarter of the year 10s at any one time, that puts us at roughly 130. Our capacity is 1,200 (though we currently have a shy under 1,000).

That's the issue we have. Plus the fact that we know nothing until the government's daily press briefings, quite literally we plan one thing and then the next day we have to change it all over due to another announcement. It is an absolute Shambles.
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

dave_303,

I do not envy you and your colleagues the current situation.

Is the school able to take teaching outdoors until the weather turns, perhaps society has moved towards a better way to handle C-19 at that point?
dave_303

#8 Post by dave_303 »

Christel wrote:dave_303,

Is the school able to take teaching outdoors until the weather turns, perhaps society has moved towards a better way to handle C-19 at that point?
Not often I'd say this, but I'm just thankful I'm not a primary teacher, their position is even worse than ours. With outside teaching, we as a staff body have suggested it (we're lucky to have quite a large campus area) bit it poses problems when it comes to break times and the kids are not isolated in classrooms.

Additionally, the government guidance is that our year 10s are not to be taught new content per se, but are to be provided with school work that enhances their online learning - effectively, a get out clause for we don't have a clue what you should do with them, this means as many classes as possible need access to computers, or as a teacher, need access to some form of IT. We also run into issues with our wonderfully consistent weather lol
Individual
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Individual »

Pippin89 wrote: Interesting how little effect brexit had on the economy in that graph!
That would be because brexit hasn't happened yet.
Everything is continuing as normal until the end of transition.
We won't really know the impact until then, so buckle up.
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

dave_303 wrote:
Christel wrote:dave_303,

Not often I'd say this, but I'm just thankful I'm not a primary teacher, their position is even worse than ours. With outside teaching, we as a staff body have suggested it (we're lucky to have quite a large campus area) bit it poses problems when it comes to break times and the kids are not isolated in classrooms.

Additionally, the government guidance is that our year 10s are not to be taught new content per se, but are to be provided with school work that enhances their online learning - effectively, a get out clause for we don't have a clue what you should do with them, this means as many classes as possible need access to computers, or as a teacher, need access to some form of IT. We also run into issues with our wonderfully consistent weather lol
Yeah, the weather, not to be trusted.

My sister is a teacher in Denmark, she works for one of those free schools where exams are not that strict, I was a pupil at such a school when living in Denmark, very good environment.
Anyway, her students are all ages as it is a small school - everybody chips in, they took the students outside at the start of the pandemic.
Lots of things to learn without a PC :)