Interesting piece from New Scientist

Moderator: dromia

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Interesting piece from New Scientist

#1 Post by Pete »

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... obal-en-GB

Maybe our approach wasn't so stupid after all.........but only time will tell.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Interesting piece from New Scientist

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

It's interesting that there hasn't been a second wave (yet), however, we do have to keep in mind that under the right conditions (or wrong depending how you look at it) the virus can spread rapidly, the case example being the chicken processing factory in Anglesey, North Wales.

Maybe all the alcohol at the pubs was killing off the virus lol
Pete
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Pete »

Just as we were starting to relax, the temperature north of the arctic circle (Siberia) broke all records at 38C causing extensive wildfires.............to me, that's a helluva lot scarier than the virus.

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#4 Post by Dellboy »

if we dont get hit by part 2 by October we could be lucky .. But August is my guess
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

It is easy to think that the government are making these decisions blindly. But you have to remember they have teams of researchers, who know far more about this than you or me, advising them all the way. None of us are experts in virology or microbiology so we must trust those that are to make the right call.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

Dellboy wrote:if we dont get hit by part 2 by October we could be lucky .. But August is my guess
London will be the barometer - if cases there start increasing by the end of summer, then the chances of a second lockdown will be higher.

My best mate who emigrated to California almost 20 years ago, told me the other day that they have instigated a 2nd lockdown where he lives, because of the massive increase in cases across the southern and western states.
The trouble is the population out there is just largely thick. My mate was saying a lot of his US friends still believe that this virus is all a Govt conspiracy, and the extreme religious nutters won't wear masks or keep distance, as its God's choice if they catch it it or not, and all sorts of stuff like that. He works on the light rail system out there and said its scary having deal with whats going on there, whether its recent riots or the bloody virus.
Its the first time in almost 20 years that I've heard him express that view.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#7 Post by Les »

If a second National lockdown does occur, I can't see the government continuing to support furloughed workers. I think it will be a case of simple economics, more than anything else. I've no idea how much this pandemic has cost the country, or how much we have had to borrow, but I believe that this is going to take decades to recover from.

Just as the country got itself on an even keel, financially, this was the very last thing that the economy needed. :bad:
Pete
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Pete »

Have a read of this..............the comment about "notifiable diseases" is interesting...........

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... obal-en-GB

Pete
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#9 Post by Mike95 »

The case of a Mink farm in Spain is concerning... it appears that the Mink have caught Covid 19 from some of the human workers... it seems that the virus is multi dimensional... your pet dog or cat might be next.. !

Mike95
Pete
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Pete »

Or that bit of undercooked KFC........... :twisted:

Pete