Sweden

Moderator: dromia

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Sweden

#1 Post by Pete »

No lockdown, just an appeal to the population's common sense: Death rate to date: 547 per million population.

The UK......(we all know the likely economic ramifications of lockdown here)...................Death rate to date: 660 per million population.

(Source https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/sweden/)

What does that say about our govs. approach, compared to the Swedish govs..........?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Sweden

#2 Post by Christel »

Nothing really, it has been mentioned before, one can't compare apples and oranges.

Regardless of the economic impact, Sweden has played life and death - literally - with its citizens.
SeaMonkey

#3 Post by SeaMonkey »

Christel wrote:Nothing really, it has been mentioned before, one can't compare apples and oranges.

Regardless of the economic impact, Sweden has played life and death - literally - with its citizens.

Excellent answer
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

Sweden is 1.9 times larger than the UK, but it only has a population of +/- 10 million, so it's hardly surprising that their death rate is lower.

If anything, comparing like-for-like, it is considerably higher than the UK, which is why comparisons like this are totally pointless.
RDC

#5 Post by RDC »

Going off official population figures, Sweden has a population density of 59 per square mile, whereas the UK has a population density of 725 per square mile.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

Les wrote:Sweden is 1.9 times larger than the UK, but it only has a population of +/- 10 million, so it's hardly surprising that their death rate is lower.

If anything, comparing like-for-like, it is considerably higher than the UK, which is why comparisons like this are totally pointless.

^THIS^

As has been said it is difficult to compare, but if you ask me, it looks like Sweden got it very wrong!
jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#7 Post by jmc67 »

Here's an interesting site which shows death rate from Covid per million people against population density and how it has evolved over time; https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covi ... on-density
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

jmc67 wrote:Here's an interesting site which shows death rate from Covid per million people against population density and how it has evolved over time; https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covi ... on-density
Very interesting graph. Interestingly, unless I am going mad, the UK doesn't appear on there!

Ignore that, it was hidden. Turn the Y axis onto Linear and it tells a more interesting story!
Polchraine

#9 Post by Polchraine »

547 to 660 is a minor difference statistically.

Scotland and Wales are down in the mid 400. Was the initial lockdown any different to England? No. The reason is that the population is far wider spread meaning less chance of transmission. So comparing those to Sweden, even though they are still fairly close, would suggest Sweden got it wrong.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

I am not really interested in C-19 numbers or population density or land mass...in my opinion Sweden just left their citizens to their own fate. No responsibility towards the Swedish people.

No responsibility towards the surrounding countries either.

I know people in Denmark who are horrified about the Swedish approach.