When did a freshers week "rite of passage" become a right?

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

When did a freshers week "rite of passage" become a right?

#1 Post by dromia »

I have some sympathy with students suffering from boris the bastard and his bunch of idiots criminal incompetence in mismanaging the pandemic as we all are.

However a week long pish up surely isn't a right as some of these students seem to be claiming.

The fact is that this pandemic is causing much grief, illness and death and as such we are all having to live our lives differently and just put up with it as best we can.

Young people seem to be in the main mildly affected at this point with the virus but who knows what it may have sown for later years.

One of the key signs of a civilised society is how it looks after its old, ill and vulnerable and with this governments covid response as the measure then we are definitely uncivilised.

Why are the students bemoaning their situation? As good aspiring citizens then surely they should knuckle down and work through the situation as going to university and having pish ups and shagging may be desirable but in the scheme of things 'tis but a nothing.

The young men and women of the world war generations didn't seem to whinge on about why such calamities happened to their generation, they buckled down and did their duty for their society. Flying a Hurricane during the Battle of Britain, land on the beaches at Galipoli, our being dysentry ridden crossing the Kokoda trail is not something any generation should endure but they did. So what is wrong with this current generation that they seem to be so hell bent and focussed on "me me me"?

I suspect at the end of the day it has to do with their upbringing or lack of it so a parental responsibility at the end of the day.

Footnote: I fully aware that there must be some young people who do know their duty and willingly do the right thing and deal with its consequences and my hat goes of to them, but with today's scum bag media then only the whingers and whiners make the headlines.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: When did a freshers week "rite of passage" become a righ

#2 Post by Dark Skies »

"Flying a Hurricane during the battle of Britain."

If I could push a magic button I'd be there in a heartbeat.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Much as I have great interest in firearms and shooting I am only happy when the rounds are going away from me, the slightest chance of them coming towards me and I'm off.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#4 Post by DaveB »

To answer your question, it is definitely their upbringing - though you cannot lay it entirely at the parent's feet. The left-wing school system and teachers must surely bear some of the responsibility. Certainly this whole 'woke' business seems to be the fault of the educational system. for example, none of my teachers ever even hinted that the British Empire was in any way 'bad'. Aside from the obvious ones about Nazi Germany, my education was largely devoid of moral judgements. Not so today. 'White man's guilt' seems to be one of the main teaching points these days.

Then there is the fact that all their lives they have been told that they are special, and a large number of them seem to have come to believe it. MY parents (and I am sure most of our membership's parents) came though (possibly the Great War and the Spanish Flu), the Great Depression and WWII. None of which convinced them they were in any way owed anything by the world. Although they may have wanted us to have the things they did not growing up, by and large they did not lead us to believe anything was owed to us, just that if we worked hard, we could have these things. The further you get from that generation however, the more entitled they seem to feel. Maybe it is a side-effect of the success of each generation providing more for their children than they had, I am not sure.

Sadly the one thing I do feel sure of, is that it will take some sort of awful cataclysm ( and I do NOT mean Covid 19) to reset this entitled (and 'woke') generation back to reality. Then the cure may be worse than the disease (Though I am not sure about that. This generation is pretty damn awful.)
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#5 Post by channel12 »

I my opinion the rot set in in the "swinging '60's" and progressive education introduced by Wilson's Labour government. Their determination to smash the class system through the abolishment of selective education and the introduction of the Comprehensive schools. I was born before the NHS, sat the 11 plus and went to a Technical High School where the majority of teachers had come from industry and HM forces and qualified as teachers through the post war teacher training schemes. Our Head master was a Catalina flying boat pilot and credited with a U-boat kill, another was in merchant navy and served on the Arctic convoys, another a tank commander. These guys were tough and handy with the strap if you were stupid enough to get out of line.
One time where nobody would own up to minor misbehaviour and somebody said "you can't strap the whole class can you sir?" Well yes he did, all 30 of us (just on stroke each but not that hard). And the official school leaving age was 15 but a condition of attending a Technical school your parents had to commit to keeping you there until you were 16.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#6 Post by shugie »

channel12 wrote:I my opinion the rot set in in the "swinging '60's" and progressive education introduced by Wilson's Labour government. Their determination to smash the class system through the abolishment of selective education and the introduction of the Comprehensive schools. I was born before the NHS, sat the 11 plus and went to a Technical High School where the majority of teachers had come from industry and HM forces and qualified as teachers through the post war teacher training schemes. Our Head master was a Catalina flying boat pilot and credited with a U-boat kill, another was in merchant navy and served on the Arctic convoys, another a tank commander. These guys were tough and handy with the strap if you were stupid enough to get out of line.
One time where nobody would own up to minor misbehaviour and somebody said "you can't strap the whole class can you sir?" Well yes he did, all 30 of us (just on stroke each but not that hard). And the official school leaving age was 15 but a condition of attending a Technical school your parents had to commit to keeping you there until you were 16.
I'm a few years behind you, not that many, had a lecturer at South Bank Poly in the 70s who'd been badly burnt as a Hurricane pilot, proper gent, always beautifully attired, but his face was not a pretty sight. As a grammar school boy I still believe in some element of selective education, as long as the system does not lock you out after the 11 plus, failure at which rather consigned quite capable people to a distinctly second class education. We certainly had corporal punishment at all the schools I attended, I can attest to that having been on the receiving end of it more than a few times, but I also think that if you were unlucky enough to be autistic, or have ADHD, in those years, you probably got way more than your fair share of canings and the like. It was a very male dominated environment, none of this fluffy being nice to each other stuff that so enrages the less liberal older citizen.

I had an actual grant for higher education, no fees, no loans, but only about 15% went on from school to study beyond 'A' levels, it was definitely not as commonplace as it is now, and there were plenty in my HND class who were the first of their family not to leave school and enter the world of work at 15 or 16. I went on to have goodly mixture of jobs at enterprises large and small, and if I'd stayed at one of them longer, I would have been able to retire at 60 with a nice 2/3rds final salary pension. I could afford a house, just, after four years of work, I had to let my spare room out, and occasionally struggled with repayments when interest rates were high, but I could afford to buy, albeit in Bracknell, a house for 3 times my salary, which was above national average but not by a lot.

Contrast that with my kids, if my kids want further education it's nine grand a year, even a modest house in Bracknell is now ten times the national average salary, and final salary pension schemes are a thing of the past for virtually everyone, along with the job for life that most who left school when I did seem to get. I wouldn't fancy that at all, but at least it was an option if you valued security.

The whole "woke" business appears to me to be little more than those on the right seeking to suppress political views they don't like, but if the younger generation feel entitled, in the sense of having a grievance about something, they aren't wrong. My generation has forced them out of an EU they voted strongly to stay in and has left them with far more debt, and far fewer chances than we had. They have every right to grumble.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Individual
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Individual »

Boris the Bastard Maker and his gang of cronies are doing whatever they can to divert the blame away from themselves and onto young people.
They have engaged their billionaire press baron mates to help spread the word.

Ideally they would like the older generation and working people to start regarding students as feckless and irresponsible.

Looks like its working a treat.
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/1 ... iltrating/

Calvin Robinson has got the right approach to teaching and especially as we are in Black History Month he is worth drawing attention to.
The students who are partying and complaining about lock down, they all have years of indoctrination behind them, they are the ones who are emerging in this country as teachers, bankers, bus drivers etc, beware is all I can say.
I was pleased to see the Department for Education last week remind teachers that presenting such ideas as truths is against the law and a breach of the Education Act 1996, which states that teachers should maintain political neutrality.
Where does that leave the teachers who has been teaching bollox during the last few decades? Shouldn't they be sued for wrong teachings?
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#9 Post by Geek »

And the labour clowns would have managed this better would they? I very much doubt it, I wouldn't trust the lefty loonies to run a bath!
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

Geek + 1