30%
I will have the vaccine
60%
I will have have a vaccine but depends on which one
10%

Total votes: 40

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Covid 19 vaccine.

#1 Post by dromia »

Well its supposed to be ready for roll out so whose up for it?

I'm in two minds as to its safety, not because of any conspiracy theories but because this governments complete ineptitude and failure on everything they have done during this pandemic so if boris the bastard or han the cock says I should do something then that is sufficient reason not to do it.

I have never had it adequately explained to me how the trial period of years if not to decades are needed to approve a vaccine this one has all of a sudden been telescoped into less than a year, that seems very dubious to me.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
RDC

Re: Covid 10 vaccine.

#2 Post by RDC »

I'll have it as soon as I am able to.

It isn't the government developing this, but some of the sharpest minds in vaccines and infectious diseases. I trust them and their validation processes, not the government. The government is just a customer.

As for how the trial period can be condensed down, it's simply a matter of resources and funding. Typically a pharmaceutical company will be operating and reviewing on their own. In this case there is a mostly global effort, with all that funding and support across multiple different entities. Test phases are being run in parallel because there is the resource to do it. It will still have the same level of scrutiny, if not more so, because they need to get it right. No one wants their name associated with a duff vaccine that kills more than it saves.
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

I have said to Ovenpaa a few times that yes I will have a vaccine, I get the flu jab every year, just that it won't be quite yet.

Wait and see 6 months down the line how it all works.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

RDC wrote:I'll have it as soon as I am able to.

It isn't the government developing this, but some of the sharpest minds in vaccines and infectious diseases. I trust them and their validation processes, not the government. The government is just a customer.

As for how the trial period can be condensed down, it's simply a matter of resources and funding. Typically a pharmaceutical company will be operating and reviewing on their own. In this case there is a mostly global effort, with all that funding and support across multiple different entities. Test phases are being run in parallel because there is the resource to do it. It will still have the same level of scrutiny, if not more so, because they need to get it right. No one wants their name associated with a duff vaccine that kills more than it saves.
That is how I would like it to be but after this governments blatantly corrupt and dishonest approach to professionally "independent" organisations and their jobs for the boys pocket lining I am no longer sure about any of our institutions veracity either due to boris the bastard and his minions direct corrupting influence or ten years of tory dogma driven austerity.

Their contemptible maladroit bumbling applied with all the trappings of power and an 80 odd majority has driven out any vestige of belief that I may have had in this country, its institutions and people.

Their whole shambles has been like living through an episode from Viz without the humor.

Regarding the telescoping of the trials I have heard what you have said but it is just too cursory an explanation for me, I would like see laid out the practical processes to licensing and the differences in time and in actions showing how it has been telescoped in relation to the usual process along with any discrepancies in risk.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#5 Post by strangesam »

dromia wrote:
That is how I would like it to be but after this governments blatantly corrupt and dishonest approach to professionally "independent" organisations and their jobs for the boys pocket lining I am no longer sure about any of our institutions veracity either due to boris the bastard and his minions direct corrupting influence or ten years of tory dogma driven austerity

This is the advantage of the international scientific community..

Our government may have rubber stamped it first for headlines, but by the time it actually starts to get into patients, (especially patients like me, who are under 65, and have no official pre-existing conditions, though I'm still being treated for and suffering from the effects of having had Covid in March, its seriously buggered me physically), other governments who I trust better to follow real science (Germany, EU, NZ) will have approved it.

I believe the vaccine, is probably as safe as any other on introduction. The speed of its approval is instead of having half a dozen researchers doing the trials on a few hundred test subjects, a few at a time, sequentially over years, we've had thousands of researchers, and hundreds of thousands of test subjects doing all the stages at once. The data is the same, its just been collected in parallel, rather than in sequence.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#6 Post by strangesam »

Christel wrote:I have said to Ovenpaa a few times that yes I will have a vaccine, I get the flu jab every year, just that it won't be quite yet.

I would point out that the flu vaccine, is a newly developed vaccine each year, developed for the predicted stains that winter (sometimes they get it right, sometimes wrong, which is why the effectiveness varies so much)
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Re: Covid 19 vaccine.

#7 Post by meles meles »

Dromia, being vaccinated is (probably) better than being culled, but we're happy to keep the latter option on the table for the ooman speeshies ...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

strangesam wrote:
Christel wrote:I have said to Ovenpaa a few times that yes I will have a vaccine, I get the flu jab every year, just that it won't be quite yet.

I would point out that the flu vaccine, is a newly developed vaccine each year, developed for the predicted stains that winter (sometimes they get it right, sometimes wrong, which is why the effectiveness varies so much)
This is true and it can't protect against all. Our nurse said that with the vaccine, if we got the flu which is unlikely however could happen, it would be less serious.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by Pete »

What Dromia said................and wait and see for a bit.
They're already setting the scene for a bungled roll-out with soundbites like "It'll be the biggest mass vaccination program ever undertaken", and then, as an aside, "Of course, there may be logistical problems with storage at -70C, which may prove difficult for some GP practices", and "It comes in large packs which cannot be split". (Heard on the radio at various times today)
With the current govt. "chums" looking after the logistics, we could be in for an interesting ride...........

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Of course I will have the vaccine, if only for the sake of the others around me as much as my own. My problem is quite which vaccine I might be offered...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal