I will have have a vaccine but depends on which one
10%

Total votes: 40

Christel
Site Admin

Re: Covid 19 vaccine.

#41 Post by Christel »

Pippin89,

I agree however it looks like someone somewhere does not give a hoot about preventing the spread as people can fly around the globe with no self isolation.

From day one this has been a mystery to me - we live on an island, close the borders. With the lock downs and mask wearing - Virus gone.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#42 Post by Blackstuff »

Call me paranoid but the fact they've announced that all NHS staff WON'T be in the first batch of vaccinations as was originally planned just adds to my suspicion that they have no confidence in the safety of the products at all. :squirrel:
DVC
Blackstuff

#43 Post by Blackstuff »

Pippin89 wrote:
If you study the maths of viral spreads (there is a great video on YouTube by 3Blue1Brown which gives a good insight into what the statisticians are currently calculating, a simple version of course... - I will pop a link below) then we can say that if everyone got the vaccine today, in 10 days the virus would be eradicated. It can't survive in anyone for longer than the incubation period, can't be passed on to anyone else. It dies. The only bits left to mop up are those that can't have the vaccine or those that the vaccine is ineffective for. Which is a very small portion of the population making it easy to track down and isolate. Making this portion larger by choosing not to have it makes this effort FAR more difficult. I will refer back to my forest fire analogy. Of course vaccinating everyone in one day is not possible which is why they will need to spread it out a little more but it is still doable if they can get it all done within the immunity period (or close to it).

https://youtu.be/gxAaO2rsdIs
That is singlehandedly the best explanation of viral spread i've seen and given the date it was posted has proved fairly accurate. It should've been put out as a PSA at the start of this!
DVC
RDC

#44 Post by RDC »

Blackstuff wrote:Call me paranoid but the fact they've announced that all NHS staff WON'T be in the first batch of vaccinations as was originally planned just adds to my suspicion that they have no confidence in the safety of the products at all. :squirrel:
Or not all NHS staff are as at risk as those who are inn the first batch.

My physiotherapist is at much less risk than a nurse in the covid wards or in A&E.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#45 Post by Pippin89 »

Blackstuff wrote:Call me paranoid but the fact they've announced that all NHS staff WON'T be in the first batch of vaccinations as was originally planned just adds to my suspicion that they have no confidence in the safety of the products at all. :squirrel:
One of my sisters is a ITU nurse and is having the vaccine in the first batch. Another sister of mine is a nurse in a nursing home and is also having it in the first batch.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#46 Post by Lancs Lad »

Pippin89 wrote:
Pete wrote:Where is the risk indeed, LL.....if anyone who wants protection can have it, why should they be concerned about any "risk" from those who don't?

Pete
The risk is what happens during the 3 month immunity period when some are vaccinated and other choose not to be. As you pointed out in a previous post, the virus has the ability to mutate. Those people who have not had the vaccine are giving it the opportunity to do so!

If enough people don't get it and continue giving the virus a path to transmit for 3 months, then once we all lose the immunity the vaccine gave us, the virus is still knocking around and we all start getting it again... This is best case in this scenario. And the result is that we all need the be vaccinated again at which point many people (mostly those who don't want the vaccine) will start moaning about the vaccine not working, and the significant cost of re-vaccinating people whilst oblivious to the fact that THEY are the reason it didn't work and the reason its more expensive that it should need to be...

The worst case scenario if the virus is given a path to survive for those 3 months, is that as you pointed out, it could mutate in that time to a point where the vaccine is no longer effective and we are back to where we were in March/April this year.

If you study the maths of viral spreads (there is a great video on YouTube by 3Blue1Brown which gives a good insight into what the statisticians are currently calculating, a simple version of course... - I will pop a link below) then we can say that if everyone got the vaccine today, in 10 days the virus would be eradicated. It can't survive in anyone for longer than the incubation period, can't be passed on to anyone else. It dies. The only bits left to mop up are those that can't have the vaccine or those that the vaccine is ineffective for. Which is a very small portion of the population making it easy to track down and isolate. Making this portion larger by choosing not to have it makes this effort FAR more difficult. I will refer back to my forest fire analogy. Of course vaccinating everyone in one day is not possible which is why they will need to spread it out a little more but it is still doable if they can get it all done within the immunity period (or close to it).

https://youtu.be/gxAaO2rsdIs
If you want to have the vaccine ... then have it. No one will be standing in your way.

I don't believe what you have posted or the contents of the utube video clip quite simply because I've seen enough of so called 'experts' over the last few months to realise that very, very few of them actually know what they are talking about. Tell me I'm wrong by all means ... I have no problem with anyone else having an opinion.

:flag13: LL
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#47 Post by shugie »

We need the vaccine here to get our 16 year old daughter on the CEV list back into school, and I have a lung problem (aside from being fat, over 60 and a bloke, all risk factors), so I'm going to take my chances with a vaccine rather than the virus. I'd prefer the Oxford vaccine, I'd like to have seen some longer term tests on the RNA based vaccines.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#48 Post by Les »

The vaccine has been produced in a collaboration between Phizer (USA) and BionTech (Germany), but the UK is the first country to give it the OK. So in other words, we are the guinea pigs for something that may or may not make any difference. Why haven't the yanks or the germans accepted the vaccine?

How much has this vaccine cost us? And if it doesn't work, will we be told "It affects different people differently".

This is yet another expensive stitch-up that our government has signed up to.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#49 Post by dromia »

I don't think it is a stitch up that is to complicated for these numpties.

Boris lacks the intellectual capacity to understand any of this, he and his dimwit cabinet just think "vaccine" and all will be well with no capacity to understand that a vaccine needs to applied in certain ways to be effective.

Boris the bastard just thinks being first is all that is necessary so we can be "great" again and feck any consequences.

As pipin has pointed out for the eradication of the virus the vaccine needs to be applied over a short time span and universally, the logistics of this is way beyond this government and it instruments capacity to deliver this.

Also I have never read any of the "experts" talking about eradication just about protection I suspect that is because they know the incapability of the government.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
RDC

#50 Post by RDC »

dromia wrote:
Also I have never read any of the "experts" talking about eradication just about protection I suspect that is because they know the incapability of the government.
That's because you can never truly eradicate something like this, or Polio for example.

What you can do is use a vaccine to protect as many people as possible. Those that can't be vaccinated benefit from herd immunity. It occasionally makes an appearance, but is easily managed and controllable thanks to mass vaccination.