Perspective

Moderator: dromia

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Perspective

#1 Post by Pete »

"According to the Johns Hopkins Covid-19 dashboard, there have been 1.7 million deaths from the disease to date. That’s a small proportion of the estimated 58 million deaths so far this year from all causes, but the threat of the virus and the damage done by lockdowns has been enormous."

I doubt whether we'll ever know the extent of the damage done by the threat of the virus and the lockdowns, or even the wars currently in progress, but I bet the actual deaths will be small change compared to the wars.............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

Re: Perspective

#2 Post by glevum »

So far this year, the USA has had more deaths due to Covid than they lost in WW1, Korea, Vietnam and the American War of Independence combined.
Pete
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Pete »

In addition to Americans, there are other people on this planet who get killed in war, usually in vastly greater numbers, and through no fault of their own...........

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pete
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Pete »

When you include WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, the Gulf, and Iraq, the figure given for total deaths is 623,647.
There are no accurate figures for the American Revolutionary war.

The US death total from covid is currently reported as 337,077, and the population is 330,676,544.
So around around 1% of the population............

In the UK, the figures are 69,625 in a population of 68,051,351
So again, close to 1% of the population, but in both countries, many of these deaths may be exacerbated by obesity, which could be a lifestyle choice, or pre-existing medical conditions........we just don't know for certain.

The big question may still be "Is the cure worse than the disease" when the effects of lockdowns on mental health, loss of employment, and the economy, are balanced against the actual death rate.

Stats are from https://www.worldometers.info and UK gov site.

Pete
Pete
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Pete »

Pete
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Pete »

It should have read "0.1% of the population" in my previous post, which makes it even worse...............there will be considerably more than 1.0% affected by the lockdowns.......

(It was the claret...... teanews )

Pete
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

The fact is no one knows how Covid will affect them. Not everyone who has died from it had underlying issues. There was a young girl in Durham, late 20s a nurse. She contracted it and infected her parents, two people in their 50s where the mother was a “sickly” person generally.

Mother was fine, Dad coughed himself silly for three weeks, killed the young woman.

And then there is “long Covid”. Watched an interview with a GP who was a runner. Contracted Covid back in April. Still can’t walk more than 200m and had just lost her job because the surgery she worked at couldn’t take the absence.

Covid is a very highly infectious disease that has the ability to kill or debilitate, have no doubts about it. Basing the threat of it purely on the number of deaths it causes is frankly ridiculous. The reason we are still suffering with it is because stupid, selfish people have decided measures don’t apply to them or that it’s just one big “World Government” con...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

Sim G wrote: The reason we are still suffering with it is because stupid, selfish people have decided measures don’t apply to them or that it’s just one big “World Government” con...
Seriously, how stupid can people be - then there are the lizards and 5G kukkuk

On top of the scenarios you mentioned, there is also the gene factor. Ignoring the virus is just plain stupid. Darwin award material.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#9 Post by meles meles »

Just remember oomans, if the vaccine doesn't work us other species are still standing by to roll out the Cull Plan... bangbang
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

meles meles wrote:Just remember oomans, if the vaccine doesn't work us other species are still standing by to roll out the Cull Plan... bangbang
By the looks of things your lot haven’t got the hang of crossing the road properly so I think we’ll be ok! :p
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!