So who has had to work as normal since pandemic started

Moderator: dromia

20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: So who has had to work as normal since pandemic started

#11 Post by 20series »

I started a new job as a electrical maintenance supervisor at a local prison in April. Funny enough we haven't Changed much other than the "residents" are not doing education or workshops etc.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Plecotus
Home club or Range: Monmmouth & District Rifle Club, NRA, Chepstow Rifle Club

#12 Post by Plecotus »

Had my busiest year since I started my business in 2013......which was the last time I had more than a long weekend off work as well. No furlough, grants or anything else

Early retirement this year....I can't wait. I might even take a holiday,
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#13 Post by Plumose »

Alpha1 wrote:
toffe wrapper wrote:Just to add clarity

P.S I class most I.T in my company as W*** taking all praise while doing it all by remote

TW
I dont work in IT but I know from experience a lot of people who are working from home would not be able to if not for there support.
I can't comment on the IT in your company but I know we had to work hard to swap from about 30 people working from home sometimes to about 700 working from home all the time.

This involved an incredible amount of work, especially as we had to implement new system so people could use their own computers (which aren't allowed to connect directly to our systems due to data governance etc.).

We are still rolling out kit to people working from home to make it easier and more comfortable and to make sure they can work as efficiently as possible along with setting up new servers and services.

And I am sure this is the case in large number of IT departments around the world.

There are poor IT departments/teams out there, I have encountered them, but don't tar them all with the same brush.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
toffe wrapper

#14 Post by toffe wrapper »

I said Most I.T in my company not all I.T.
Based on 90% of them running to the hills and refusing to do anything other than work by remote.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#15 Post by kennyc »

still going into peoples home, as I have since it all started, hard to do my job remotely :p
North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

#16 Post by North Star »

I have worked as normal ever since the pandemic started last spring, riding the bus both ways 5 days a week.
The company I work for overhauls gas turbines. Mainly military, but also a lot of Industrial engines.
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.
BamBam

#17 Post by BamBam »

kennyc wrote:still going into peoples home, as I have since it all started, hard to do my job remotely :p

lol lol

All kidding aside, people need heating and hot water in their homes, it's essential work.
lapua338

#18 Post by lapua338 »

I've been lone working from an office building since 23rd March 2020.

I refused to work from home because it's an inconvenience to me. I live alone and have a desire to keep work and my domestic life separate and leave all equipment at the building.

I drive to and from work every day and when there is a need I make site visits too. I have a legitimate reason to be driving around the county.

There has also been a requirement for a 'caretaker' role for the building. Access is required to the server room, the fire alarm, emergency lighting, UPS and generator, etc, all need to be inspected and serviced at regular intervals therefore an office presence is required to facilitate these activities.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#19 Post by Plumose »

toffe wrapper wrote:I said Most I.T in my company not all I.T.
Based on 90% of them running to the hills and refusing to do anything other than work by remote.
If they can work remotely why would they not, every person that is in the work place increases the risk for all?

The work I do means that 99% of the time it makes not difference from the work point view if I am in the office or not, so much as I hate it I work from home.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

Plumose wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:
toffe wrapper wrote:Just to add clarity

P.S I class most I.T in my company as W*** taking all praise while doing it all by remote

TW
I dont work in IT but I know from experience a lot of people who are working from home would not be able to if not for there support.
I can't comment on the IT in your company but I know we had to work hard to swap from about 30 people working from home sometimes to about 700 working from home all the time.

This involved an incredible amount of work, especially as we had to implement new system so people could use their own computers (which aren't allowed to connect directly to our systems due to data governance etc.).

We are still rolling out kit to people working from home to make it easier and more comfortable and to make sure they can work as efficiently as possible along with setting up new servers and services.

And I am sure this is the case in large number of IT departments around the world.

There are poor IT departments/teams out there, I have encountered them, but don't tar them all with the same brush.
I am surprised they are letting people use their own computers. Our Company certainly would not allow that. Most of the people at my workplace are working from home. They all have a company supplied either a laptop or a desktop with everything that's needed to carry out their role. All the meetings are held on TeamViewer etc. The IT department has been snowed under.