Goverment ignoring Covid advice again

Moderator: dromia

Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Goverment ignoring Covid advice again

#1 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
I remember Boris saying that his goverment would be led by the scientists and there advice when dealing with Covid.
He ignorned it on the 1st 2nd and tiered system lockdowns and is now doing it yet again.

"SAGE advises that policy work on the potential reintroduction of measures should be undertaken now so that it can be ready for rapid deployment if required, stressing the importance of reintroducing measures in combination, supported by clear communication; consistent implementation that avoids creating barriers to adherence; and clear triggers for deployment."
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Re: Goverment ignoring Covid advice again

#2 Post by Mauserbill »

Ministers need to act early to counteract rising Covid infections, the government’s scientific advisers have said while suggesting that failure to do so could mean harsher interventions will be required this winter.

On Thursday daily new Covid cases in the UK exceeded 52,000, the highest since July. Figures from the Office for National Statistics released on Friday show that about one in 55 people in England had Covid-19 in the week ending 16 October, a level last seen in mid-January, and infection levels had increased from the week before in all age groups except 25- to 34-year-olds, where the trend was unclear.

The government has repeatedly said it is not yet introducing its “plan B”, a suite of “light-touch” measures such as advice to work from home, compulsory face masks in some settings and the introduction of vaccine passports.

But documents released by the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) on Friday show warnings from experts that if action is not taken rapidly as cases rise, harsher measures may be needed later.

“In the event of increasing case rates, earlier intervention would reduce the need for more stringent, disruptive, and longer-lasting measures,” minutes of a Sage meeting held on 14 October record.

The experts say there are many unknowns at play regarding the trajectory of the epidemic this winter, including the rate and degree to which protection from vaccinations wanes, and changes in behaviour. However, the documents from the Sage modelling sub-group add that the earlier measured are enacted, the faster they would be likely to be lifted.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#3 Post by channel12 »

52,000 new cases is not 52,000 people requiring intensive care in hospital or hospital admissions. It's been suggested that if everyone was tested this week there would be at least 500,000 "cases".
So don't wait for Boris to tell you what to do but start your very own personal lockdown now and keep your mask on at all times, you know it makes sense.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by Pete »

"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
artiglio

#5 Post by artiglio »

Covid is a particularly nasty bug to those that are susceptible ( the elderly with underlying conditions primarily and others with underlying conditions less so, being fat won’t help). So common sense would generally say

Protect tthe elderly and vulnerable
Lose weight ( if you carry too much)
Get a bit fitter and eat sensibly
Get vaccinated
Do as you see fit (but don’t expect society to pay for it.)

The first is the responsibility of society , the other 4 are personal choices.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#6 Post by channel12 »

I have to correct my post, it is "estimated" that one million people in this week would test positive for Covid if they had been tested.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

channel12 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:52 pm I have to correct my post, it is "estimated" that one million people in this week would test positive for Covid if they had been tested.
That may be but that does not mean that any of them have died or been admitted to hospital. They could have no symptoms at all or symptoms equivalent to a really bad chest infection or a heavy cold.
The last two month my self and 3 other members of management have been on stand by to cover for our shift people who are key workers and exempt from all this guff and need to be at work.
We have two people on each shift they work two 12 hour days then 2 twelve hour nights then have 4 days off.
Three off them have tested positive over the last two month and usually its the whole household that goes down with it. None off them have died they have all been very ill but recovered. Luckily all the adults were double vaccinated.
Yes the figures look scary but you have to look at the whole picture to get it into perspective.

( At 70 years old the 12 hour days are a bummer the 12 hour nights are a killer. How I used to do them on a regular basis in my younger days does not bear thinking about.)
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by Pete »

That shift system is unbelievable.....I'm surprised that anyone would tolerate that long term, regardless of remuneration.
Permanent nights or days, 4 on and then 4 off would be far better......they must be a dedicated crew for whatever it is they do.
I did the standard 3 shift system, back in the day, but after a year, I'd had enough and got out.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
DL.

#9 Post by DL. »

I know people who work two days and two nights, I think they got the idea off the fire brigade, but the shift pattern doesn't comply with my workplaces current fatigue standards, so I suspect it will be changed within a year to three days followed by three nights after four days rest.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#10 Post by meles meles »

It seems there may now be an answer as to why Bozo is ignoring the advice given to him. David Attenbadger, leading oomanologist at the Badgerkademy of Science, Technology and Majicke, has just published the following paper https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... on-in-ants

In a nutshell, based on a study of oomans and ants, he's shown that as oomans get cleverer, their brains get smaller. The smartest people thus have no brains at all, which we think adequately explains Bozo and Parliament.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"