Mossberg 590A1 Magpul

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Mossberg 590A1 Magpul

#1 Post by Geek »

Does anyone have one of these, if so comments? Also, post a picture.

I would quite like one for PSG/target shotgun (I currently use a Fabarm Lion H368 (synthetic stock) which has been converted from a section 2 to a section 1 (10+1) - not really ideal. However, looking on the Mossberg website the choke is cylinder bore (OK for slug, but PSG a 1/2 is probably better). Also, for UK legislation doesn't the overall length needs to be 40", however, the website states 39.5" (assume that there is a UK version).

https://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1- ... ies-51773/

Any comments and feedback greatly received.

Thank you
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
BamBam

Re: Mossberg 590A1 Magpul

#2 Post by BamBam »

That model won't be imported, it's got a 20" barrel.

Your best option is to get the 24" 590 that is imported and add the magpul furniture, Brownells or similar has it. Add a magazine extension too.

https://www.yorkguns.com/shop/gun-room/ ... persuader/

For PSG cylinder choke will be fine in a gun that won't ever be that competitive.
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#3 Post by Brian838 »

Geek wrote:Does anyone have one of these, if so comments? Also, post a picture.

I would quite like one for PSG/target shotgun (I currently use a Fabarm Lion H368 (synthetic stock) which has been converted from a section 2 to a section 1 (10+1) - not really ideal. However, looking on the Mossberg website the choke is cylinder bore (OK for slug, but PSG a 1/2 is probably better). Also, for UK legislation doesn't the overall length needs to be 40", however, the website states 39.5" (assume that there is a UK version).

https://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1- ... ies-51773/

Any comments and feedback greatly received.

Thank you
I've fitted the Magpul forend to my 590 and it's a big improvement on the original. I've also added grip tape to it and you could fit M lok rail if you wanted.
If you want to keep the heat shield though, this will need to be crimped closer to the barrel. I used a vice for this with thin rubber pad on the jaws to protect the finish.
Attachments
Moss 2.jpg
Moss 1.jpg
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#4 Post by Geek »

BamBam wrote:That model won't be imported, it's got a 20" barrel.

Your best option is to get the 24" 590 that is imported and add the magpul furniture, Brownells or similar has it. Add a magazine extension too.

https://www.yorkguns.com/shop/gun-room/ ... persuader/

For PSG cylinder choke will be fine in a gun that won't ever be that competitive.
Thanks Bam Bam,

As you know, PSG is 'just for fun' for me. I enjoy shooting slug and at Rossendale I shoot slug on the 50m range, just thought that the Mossberg looked like it could be fun to shoot, whilst not too expensive, such as a dedicated PSG shotgun (I spend my money mostly on rifles).
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

There are 3 main problems using the Mossberg for PSG;

1/ Increasing the mag capacity is a ballache and the standard it comes with will put you at a disadvantage even in Standard Manual division.

2/ Unless you get one of the newer 24" barrels (rather one with a 20" barrel and the 4" shroud welded to it - you can spot them easily as those ones have a fatter muzzle than barrel - as pictured above) you'll be stuck with Open choke (and even with the newer barrel you'll still need to get it threaded to add chokes.) As you're shooting at Rossendale, who are partial to a crazy no-shoot or ten, this will be a problem.

3/ They don't have a 'tongue' style loading gate so its incredibly difficult to use load-2 or quad-loading, loading techniques which are currently the fastest method.

A Remmy 870 is a better option if you want a traditional style pump, but a Benelli Supernova (preferably with the short stroke modification/action bar kit) is one of the better options.
DVC