Box fed 12 bore

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Box fed 12 bore

#1 Post by Dellboy »

Got a mate who wants a box fed 12 bore asked me what to buy ..
I havent got a clue so for a budget of around £700 ish . whats good or bad and why ...

Seems it will get more use on vermin duty than anything else

Thanks
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

shellshokt
Home club or Range: KFC and TR&PC

Re: Box fed 12 bore

#2 Post by shellshokt »

I've got an Armsan RS-S1, love it, very reliable for a box fed. However, imho, I would suggest that he is better of with a tube fed for vermin shooting.
"The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom"
H.L.Mencken
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#3 Post by Dellboy »

shellshokt wrote:I've got an Armsan RS-S1, love it, very reliable for a box fed. However, imho, I would suggest that he is better of with a tube fed for vermin shooting.

YEP said that but .....
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Tell him, again, to by a 'normal' tube semi, its the best gun for the job. He will miss a LOT more with a box fed simply down to the height above bore axis difference with the sight/sights that will be on it. Plus he's less likely to have the police turn out when he's out in the field! lol

If he's determined to use one, just tell him to get whichever one floats his boat lookswise if its only going to be used for pests. The (relatively) low round count will mean virtually any of the offerings currently out there will be up to the job.

Bora BR99's and Derya MK12's are both fairly light but they are a bit of a carry on to clean. Typhoon F12's are quite heavy and I wouldn't fancy lugging one around a field all day. For a bit more money* the Armsan RS1-S1 is a good choice and once you remove the daft dust cover it should run and run and run. The only other downside to the RS1 is that there is an international OEM magazine shortage, but if its for pest control its not like he's going to need the 6-7 10rd mags you would for PSG.

*There are bargains to be had if you ring around smaller RFD's. ONe of my shooting mates just picked one up for £579 :o but the dealer made a pretty big mistake with that! Even so the same place has started selling them for £670 which is still £200-300ish below most places!
DVC
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

Hatsan make one too, (can't remember the name.. "Raider" maybe??)... When I wanted something for informal PSG at my club i considered one, but decided "top-ups" were much easier with a normal tube than a mag...