Shotgun for the Misses!

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Shotgun for the Misses!

#11 Post by Sim G »

Polchraine wrote: I would suggest getting her SGC application in fairly soon ... it will make things easier such as "can you go and pick up 1000 cartridges for me" ...

S5(2)(c) Firearms Amendment Act 1988 allows a non certificate holder, with another persons certificate and a letter of authority from that person, to purchase or acquire cartridges in their behalf.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Polchraine

#12 Post by Polchraine »

Sim G wrote:
Polchraine wrote: I would suggest getting her SGC application in fairly soon ... it will make things easier such as "can you go and pick up 1000 cartridges for me" ...

S5(2)(c) Firearms Amendment Act 1988 allows a non certificate holder, with another persons certificate and a letter of authority from that person, to purchase or acquire cartridges in their behalf.
It does, however, does every gunshop work to that? They need to be sure it is valid - a stolen SGC and and letter with a similar signature could be presented. Having her own SGC will make it much easier.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#13 Post by Pippin89 »

Sim G wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:Hi All.

I took my misses clay pigeon shooting yesterday and she absolutely loved it! She isn't really one for hobbies so its great to find something she wants to keep doing. So the next step is to get her some lessons, which I have sorted. Following that I want to get her a shotgun. It will go on my licence for now as there won't be a time when she goes without me any time soon.
So can anyone recommend a cheap 20 bore to get her started? I have a Lanber 12 bore which does the job for me. But she can't hold it up. We borrowed a 20 bore yesterday and that was much easier for her. Budget of around £3-400 s/h.

Excellent, I hope she continues to enjoy it.

But I have to say, don't place your hand on your wife's back whilst she's learning, she has to be able to absorb the recoil. Preventing her body from moving with that recoil, even a little, will increase the felt effect. This hurts more. Could easily put someone off, or even injure them if they don't have the gun mounted properly as well.

If that's not you in the picture, tell this instructor to "get his hands off your wife"! Simple physics and bad instruction.....
Yes it is me in the picture. However, the gun in unloaded at this point. She had just shot and missed 2. Her position wasn't good as she has a tendency to arch her back. I stepped in after to re-position her (hence the hand on her back).
MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

#14 Post by MarkW »

My Mrs decided we needed a hobby together, we'd done the quad bike thing and she scared me. So we decided on clay shooting. Found an ex Army mate who is an instructor. We used his guns for a while but his 20b was to big and unwieldy for her. Went to Avalon guns in Street and purchased he a Silver Pidgeon and me a Berretta 686.
We both have a SGC and a shared cabinet. Just need to find time to go shooting now.

On a seperate note, how many shells are you keeping at home? Currently we have none as the gun club only allows their shells to be used but if we verture further afield we'll need to take our own
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

MarkW wrote: On a seperate note, how many shells are you keeping at home? Currently we have none as the gun club only allows their shells to be used but if we verture further afield we'll need to take our own

Keep as many as you want or can sensibly store.

And if a club stated I could only use the cartridges they sold, I'd be finding a different club...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Polchraine

#16 Post by Polchraine »

As Sim says - if a club insists on their cartridges ONLY then find somewhere else.

I shoot at one where teh briefing include "if you did not buy your cartridges from us, then please ensure they are fibre wad only ..." They sell basic 21 gram cartfridges for £5/box whereas I can but the same at £4/box and as they buy 10,000 at a time, they will be making a reasonable mark up.

Keeping 2500 at home is not an issue - buy in 1000 quantities and both 12G & 20G and you can see how easy it is to hit that.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Blackstuff »

Personally I don't see anything wrong with clubs requiring you to buy their cartridges to enforce a fibre wad policy, as long as they don't take the mickey with the price. £5-6 per box is reasonable for #7.5 28g.
DVC
Pippin89

#18 Post by Pippin89 »

I know you don't have to store section 2 ammo in a safe but I don't feel comfortable leaving it out. I can fit 250 in my safe along with my limit for smallbore and fullbore ammo so that is what I buy.
MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

#19 Post by MarkW »

The club have as part of their planning permits/use of site had it written into their permits that they can only have carts that produce a certain level of noise and fibre wad. My understanding is that the only way they can 100% control this is to use only carts supplied by them. Just checked their website and a box of 25 carts, 21g fibre is £5 so not that bad.
Pippin89

#20 Post by Pippin89 »

MarkW wrote:The club have as part of their planning permits/use of site had it written into their permits that they can only have carts that produce a certain level of noise and fibre wad. My understanding is that the only way they can 100% control this is to use only carts supplied by them. Just checked their website and a box of 25 carts, 21g fibre is £5 so not that bad.
Price is good. Although 21g is on the light side. Some might find an issue with that especially experienced shots that are used to something heavier.