Kids on Clays

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Kids on Clays

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

What is a good age to get the kids out busting clays? My local ground has a minimum age of 10 for organised events and lessons but no minimum if I want to take them out myself.
My daughter is only 4 at the moment so still far too young to safely hold and fire a shotgun. Just wondered what people thought about a good age to start her off would be. She keeps begging me to go! lol
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Kids on Clays

#2 Post by Sim G »

Once the child is big enough to be able to follow instructions implicitly and control and operate a shotgun, would be the benchmark, I reckon. My boy was 8, but, he's a unit. He was then. He was already three years into Karate and had the discipline. My daughter is 10, she'll be lucky if she ever gets near a gun! I don't use google, because she knows effing everything!!

Age is not the factor, but you're clay ground insurance may stipulate for ease sake.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Polchraine

#3 Post by Polchraine »

The answer has to be "when the child is ready".

Do they understand instructions?
Do they do as they are told?
Can they hold a gun?
Do they understand safety?

Where I shoot, one member brought his son at 7 - all fine. Another child was around 10 and I believe his parent was politley told "not again" because of safety issues.

As for insurance - does the association you are a member of, offer a family membership? If so, can you upgrade and get cover?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pippin89

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Thanks chaps! Of course when she is ready is the best bet. But it looks like I should be deciding that when is is 8-10ish. Thats what I was looking for!
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#5 Post by 20series »

Buy her a little bb gun and plink in the back garden. Treat it like a real gun and she'll be learning and having fun at the sane time until she's big enough.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Pippin89

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

20series wrote:Buy her a little bb gun and plink in the back garden. Treat it like a real gun and she'll be learning and having fun at the sane time until she's big enough.

Alan
She currently has a nerf gun which I make her treat like a real gun. She knows how to hold it when it is and isn't loaded etc. And it gets locked in my gun safe. And she has a safe direction for firing it etc. Its very cute! lol
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#7 Post by 20series »

Pippin89 wrote:
20series wrote:Buy her a little bb gun and plink in the back garden. Treat it like a real gun and she'll be learning and having fun at the sane time until she's big enough.

Alan
She currently has a nerf gun which I make her treat like a real gun. She knows how to hold it when it is and isn't loaded etc. And it gets locked in my gun safe. And she has a safe direction for firing it etc. Its very cute! lol
That's great, excellent way to teach kids firearms safety lollol .

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

Pippin89 wrote: She currently has a nerf gun which I make her treat like a real gun. She knows how to hold it when it is and isn't loaded etc. And it gets locked in my gun safe. And she has a safe direction for firing it etc. Its very cute! lol
Wait for the next inspection and if the FLO does not ask why it is not on the certificate, you can always ask how to do it! It would, in my opinion, show a positive attitude to gun safety.

The only problem with nerf guns is hat everyone is shown firing them at other people ...

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pippin89

#9 Post by Pippin89 »

Polchraine wrote:
Pippin89 wrote: She currently has a nerf gun which I make her treat like a real gun. She knows how to hold it when it is and isn't loaded etc. And it gets locked in my gun safe. And she has a safe direction for firing it etc. Its very cute! lol
Wait for the next inspection and if the FLO does not ask why it is not on the certificate, you can always ask how to do it! It would, in my opinion, show a positive attitude to gun safety.

The only problem with nerf guns is hat everyone is shown firing them at other people ...
Yes I have made the joke with my partner of "what will the FEO say if she turns up and sees that in there..."
I think she would be happy to see I am teaching firearms safety. I have had one person in my family claim I am teaching her to be violent... I then showed them a picture of me and my daughter butchering a lamb together (I was teaching her where her food comes from) and I got the response "Oh my god you're raising a psychopath...."

I told her to go and get a piece of meat from the fridge and ask her son where it comes from and if he says "Tesco" you have a problem. I didn't get a response to that one! lol