UTAS XTR 12

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: UTAS XTR 12

#11 Post by snayperskaya »

A mate of mine got one and has no problems so far and loves it, he had a Bora before it and he had problems with that from day one.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#12 Post by daman »

At Bisley recently I shot my section 1 pump alongside a three guys with box feds. There was a Bora, a Vepyr and and a UTAS.

I saw all three have at least minor issues during the morning.

At lunch I asked the group if there was a UK available box fed that just worked out of the box without fetteling. They all laughed.

I think I'll be going for a Beretta 1301 comp, SX3, or M2 when I take the plunge for a sect 1 semi.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#13 Post by breacher »

My Vepr has been perfect out of the box.

Though thats solely with slug - I only do target shotgun.

I have shot over 30 comps with it and only dropped one round due to a fail to eject - one malfunction over 900 or so rounds is not too bad !!

I wonder if that Vepr owner was aware of how critical choice of cartridge ( not weight or load etc - but the type of crimp ) is for the Vepr ? And position of optic ( if any ) on rail. Too far forward induces FTE.

If you use the type of cartridge with a rounded crimp - happy days !! bangbang

I believe Oleg at FSU Connections actually mentions this on his website..........
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#14 Post by Nelly2014 »

Discussion (bitching session) about this on F4i. You spend near a grand on something that for many seems as much good as a cricket bat :bad:
Anything from a Hatstand to a M2 will perform reasonably well out of the box and will not embarrass you (well, maybe the Hatsan but many swear by or at them)
These AR lookey likey's look great but I won't be trading in my JM or M2 until they work properly without special ammo or things breaking.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Blackstuff »

The problem with the Turkish box mag guns at least is the p*** poor quality control, or rather lack there of. My Bora worked fine from new, with the exception of having to open out the mag well to let 10rd mags drop free. It only started jamming when I started sucking around adding aftermarket parts. It now runs as well as my Benelli M2. I think I've had two minor problems (one light strike and a failure to feed) in the last 5 or so matches/practices (approx 5-600rds).

I wish an established European manufacturer would dip their toe but the market is so small I can't see it happening anytime soon.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in this years UKPSA Open division results with the introduction of the UTAS gun. Currently the top three shooters use either BR99's or MKA1919's
DVC
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#16 Post by bradaz11 »

my mka1919 is still for sale ;)
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
bofor
Home club or Range: Great WesternShooting Club

#17 Post by bofor »

Thorney wrote:Got one, regretted it. I need two hands to take the mags out.
John, as I said mine slip out no problem.
Attachments
UTAS XTR-12 005(2).JPG
John
    Hunter87

#18 Post by Hunter87 »

There is a guy on face book from the UK who has no end of hassle with his

"Well here's the update from the range earlier today. Less than twenty rounds and it at this stage. I tried everything I could to clear the malfunctions and cycle it but to no avail. I believe it's the same problem I had last time with the bolt not picking up the shells".

"I don't want to be "that guy" but I think I'm going to wipe my hands of the UTAS XTR-12. I give it an honest chance and after having third round of repairs I think I'm done".
    Attachments
    image.png
    image.png
    Hunter87

#19 Post by Hunter87 »

Sent it back 3 times to be fixed and it's still broke.
    Attachments
    image.png
    image.png
    poll007
    Past Supporter
    Home club or Range: Deal & District

#20 Post by poll007 »

Having shot along side a few UTAS shotguns yesterday the owners had mixed opinions, some havnt had any issues, others have had a few.

One of my colleagues had their piston actually snap somehow (and is awaiting a replacement)

Another i shot with yesterday had no end issues with ftf or fte and so on(this was using the ammo the company had recommended the gun be used with)
    however a few words from another owner, and a swap to the clubs standard ammo and it worked flawlessly for the rest of the day.

honestly not quite my cup of tea anyway, but figured id share my limited experience.