All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Mossberg feeding problems

#1 Post by johngarnett »

Hi all shotgunners!

I have a Mossberg 930 JM Pro. I gave it an airing yesterday and first problem was I couldn't get more than five rounds into the mag tube. OK, so I had a shoot by limiting the rounds.

But, then I started to get failures to feed from the mag. I couldn't get it to feed manually nor by chambering manually and firing (make sense?)

I 'cured' the capacity problem by checking the mag coil spring and found a 'coil override' so unwound it and reassembled and all seems better.

My question is who is the best shotgun fiddler* around these days please? I would like to get all the rough edges knocked off and slicked up.

Thank you

JohnG :cornwall:

* can I use the word 'fiddler' these days? aaarggh
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Mossberg feeding problems

#2 Post by Sim G »

The JM Pro should come with all of those "edges" already knocked off. I'd suspect your mag spring and that seems likely given your explanation. AW Armoury have Nordic mag springs in stock.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

Try YouTube

Will have been covered (probably) on the Brian Enos site, or ask on CombatShotguns or the ShotgunWorld forums.

What ammo were you using, if reloads I know what the likely cause is.
johngarnett

#4 Post by johngarnett »

Thank you both. On the mag spring search now!!

Ammo is commercial. Either Geco Comp or S&B

JohnG
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

I've seen magazine spring problems on 2 of the 3 guns at my local PSG , they seem to be a weak point on the gun. Although in fairness, they knackered theirs outside of the gun, so good work on managing to do it inside! lol Since the two people I know of have bought aftermarket springs the feeding issues have gone.

Another thing to check is if you have a magazine clamp on your gun (connecting the magazine to the barrel), that you haven't over tightened it and crushed the mag tube. Its simple to test by dropping the follower down the mag with no spring in. Any resistance and you'll need a new mag tube as well as the spring! :bad:

Andy Haines of Master Class Customs does good work. Give him a call/email with what you're thinking of doing and he should be able to give you some good advice.
DVC
johngarnett

#7 Post by johngarnett »

New springs ordered! Ordered two - sure to fcuk one up!!!!!!

Thank you, one and all

JohnG
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#8 Post by Daryll »

You could go to the Mossberg owners forum... http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php

The problem has already probably been posted there...
BamBam

#9 Post by BamBam »

I had one of those, one problem with the mag tube was where the original mag and extension meet, a bit of polished on the lip there.

The other issue is the shell catch, it too needs a polishing.

Jerry only released this video after I'd sold mine and bought a Stoeger...

Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#10 Post by Nelly2014 »

IMO Mossberg QC is s***. When I bought mine I totally dismantled it, smoothed/polished/linished every rough or badly finished bit I could find. I also degreased the recoil spring and tube, polished all contact areas and regreased with quality stuff. Replaced the mag spring with a Beretta item, the follower with Nordic and fitted an Easy-hit.

This weekend I shot 50 rounds of slug and 200 of 28g 7s rapid fire with no problem. I normally use it for slug and my M2 for PSG but there is nothing to separate them for reliability.

Many people shoot these out of the box and get all sorts of issues. I suppose if you spend nearly twice the price on a 1301 or M2 practical you expect top quality finish and performance. At £700 the JM Pro is a PSG bargain if you spend the time and not much money sorting it out.