Target Shotgun(s)

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Target Shotgun(s)

#1 Post by Geek »

Does anyone participate in this? if so I would be interested in your advise.

I am a target rifle shooter and an occasional PSG shooter (I have slug on my FAC). I am looking for a little advice 1) where can I purchase Truglow Sights to fit my section 1 shotgun (Fabarm Lion H368)? it does have a rail and front bead: I have looked on the internet but nothing was too obvious 2) what section 2 shotgun would you recommended (single barrel) which I can convert to a target shotgun, Magpul stock, scope etc.

What reloading equipment would you recommend to cast slug, I currently reload .308 and 6.4 Creedmore and have a Hornady Lock and Load set-up. If I am going to shoot target shotgun, then I do need to start casting my own slug; too expensive to buy if shot in bulk.

If you have any pictures of your target shotgun, then please upload.

Thank you
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

Re: Target Shotgun(s)

#2 Post by HH1 »

I have these on one of my Sec 1 Benelli's (M1 Super 90), they work really well.

http://www.mcavoyguns.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p10122.html

In fact, I'd say that they are even better than the tritium ghost ring sights on my Benelli M2 Practical.

As regards converting from Sect 2 to Sect 1, I think you would get a better deal (if buying second-hand) by buying a shotgun that is already Sect 1.

You haven't said what mechanism you are looking for..... but if it is a pump-action, then a Mossberg 500 or 590 is an excellent platform for adding Magpul parts, Scopes, tactical lights etc, etc.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

I'm sure Andy at NTSA will be able to answer any questions you havehttp://www.targetshotgun.org.uk/
DVC
Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

I don't know anything about the competition side of things but I have just started casting my own slugs and getting really good results. I'll be selling up all my gear over the next 3 months as well.

I melt shot and cast Lyman 525gr sabot slugs (highly recommend this mould) using Lee Prod IV pot. Have tried various hulls/wad combo's and now have a favourite combo that works and is easy to source in UK. Powder Herco 25g or unique 21g.
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by JSC »

If there's no rules on sights, get a decent red dot. Otherwise, some rifle sights with an adjustable rear is a good idea otherwise you'll have to compensate for POA/POI.
You don't need anything particularly fancy or any special accessories other than something to hold the cartridges while you load it.
An old side by side with a bead sight is quite capable of shooting match-winning scores if you shoot it well.
Geek

#6 Post by Geek »

Blackstuff wrote:I'm sure Andy at NTSA will be able to answer any questions you havehttp://www.targetshotgun.org.uk/
Thank you for the reply.

I spoke to Andy at the Northern Shooting Show and e-mailed upon my return, unfortunately no response! so thought I would try here.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Geek

#7 Post by Geek »

HH1 wrote:I have these on one of my Sec 1 Benelli's (M1 Super 90), they work really well.

http://www.mcavoyguns.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p10122.html

In fact, I'd say that they are even better than the tritium ghost ring sights on my Benelli M2 Practical.

As regards converting from Sect 2 to Sect 1, I think you would get a better deal (if buying second-hand) by buying a shotgun that is already Sect 1.

You haven't said what mechanism you are looking for..... but if it is a pump-action, then a Mossberg 500 or 590 is an excellent platform for adding Magpul parts, Scopes, tactical lights etc, etc.
I already have a semi-auto S.1 which I intend to add a rear sight, what you have recommended appears suitable, thank you.

At the shooting show http://www.targetshotgun.org.uk/ had a single shot shotgun with Magpul parts fitted and a scope on their stand. This looked liked something which could be put together inexpensively (Thant's what was stated) so thought it would be a way to start shooting target shotgun, I shoot slug from my S.1 at 50m already.
Regards,

Geek

JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by JSC »

A single shot would work OK for the classic division maybe, but there are rapid fire stages in most TS matches, so you need a sec.1 with at least 5+1 capacity if you want to enter in the semi-auto or manual divisions.

Also, depending on where you intend to shoot you may find the rules are slightly different, as the NRA and NTSA each have their own way of doing things.
Geek

#9 Post by Geek »

JSC wrote:A single shot would work OK for the classic division maybe, but there are rapid fire stages in most TS matches, so you need a sec.1 with at least 5+1 capacity if you want to enter in the semi-auto or manual divisions.

Also, depending on where you intend to shoot you may find the rules are slightly different, as the NRA and NTSA each have their own way of doing things.
Thank you for the information, my S.1 is 10+1
Regards,

Geek

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

Andys just been busy sending me slug reloading data, once he gets to you, believe me, you'll get plenty of info! ;)
DVC