Cartridge Storage

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Polchraine

Cartridge Storage

#1 Post by Polchraine »

Where?

I recently had the chance to buy some cartridges at a very good price and now need to store them. My garage and shed are NOT suitable for various reasons.

The small loft used for comms equipment was my intention - however the temperature in there can exceed 35 c and the boxes state 18 - 25 c. I have my cabinets in a small temperature stable room, but don't like have the cartridges that close. And don't really want them on display through a window

Where do you keep them? Any suggestions?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
DL.

Re: Cartridge Storage

#2 Post by DL. »

I use a dehumidifier to keep the moisture content in the room at <65% and I keep cartridges in the shade so that the temperature doesn't exceed 26C. I'm sure you can find something that works for you.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

In the mancave (3rd bedroom) and on top of my cabinet in the main bedroom. No children in my house and no unsupervised visitors so no problem.
DVC
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

on top of the cabinet for me too.

no security conditions on them, and unlikely to be any good to someone unless they get into your cabinets, in which case, they would have got them anyway.

only reason I could ever think of storing them in a cab would be for ballast lol
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Polchraine

#5 Post by Polchraine »

Just one 7 year old, and no unsupervised visitors except know friends, so I do need to make sure he does not borrow some for school.

For me, just preference not to have them in the same room, I know their are no additional security requirements but it s just me!

All 4 bedrooms are in use, and my office/study is full. The shed - waterproof but can be a little damp sometimes and being remote from the house means and extra walk to get them before I go out

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#6 Post by Geek »

I store mine in the bottom of the wardrobe.

By the mine you have your hanging clothes and covered the cartridge boxes with shoes they can not be seen even if you open the wardrobe doors.

You could get a cheap old military metal ammo box about £10 I think (they hold about 250 cartridges) with a lock if you must. I use one of these for my buckshot cartridges.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#7 Post by Geek »

Another alternative would be a filing cabinet, which if you wanted you could lock to avoid inquisitive little hands.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
BamBam

#8 Post by BamBam »

Under the bed, in MTM ammo cases.