Will it be legal???

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

polemass
Home club or Range: NRA Shooting Club Bisley

Will it be legal???

#1 Post by polemass »

Ok,probably it was here before but I can not find it...I got single barrel 12g break action shotgun-used and abused and now perfect donor for a fun project.Can it be chopped according to Section 1 firearms rule 12/24?....and if yes-must be added on FAC?Thnx,JB
BamBam

Re: Will it be legal???

#2 Post by BamBam »

Once shorter than 24/40" it needs to be on FAC.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Not quite, OAL does not apply to s2 guns of the single barrel, sxs or o/u flavour. Only s2 pumps and semis have to have an OAL length of 40 inches. All s2 must have 24" barrel.

To the OP, yes a single or double barrelled shotgun can be chopped to 12/24 on s1. I have a donated H&R single barrel that I was going to do just that with. FEO didn't like it. Had a great deal of difficulty trying to justify that it was not "for the desire of a sawn off shotgun"....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
The Event

#4 Post by The Event »

Section 4 of the 1968 Act says it is an offence to shorten the barrel of a shotgun below 24".
It's OK to have one that was made that way but not a converted one.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

Sim G wrote:Not quite, OAL does not apply to s2 guns of the single barrel, sxs or o/u flavour. Only s2 pumps and semis have to have an OAL length of 40 inches. All s2 must have 24" barrel.
Isn't only S1 semi's and pumps that have to be 40" OAL?
DVC
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

No, s1(2)(ac) of the Firearms Amendment Act 1988, states ANY self loading or pump action smoothbore gun (s1 or s2) must have a minimum barrel length of 24 inches and a minimal overall length, excluding and folding, collapsable or removeable stocks, of 40 inches.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

thankssign
DVC