Just getting started

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

GothicSera
Home club or Range: ITSC/CGC

Just getting started

#1 Post by GothicSera »

I was granted my SGC a few weeks ago and am now a little addicted to busting clays... spending too much! aaarggh

Thoroughly enjoying myself and my partner's enjoying coming along too, so much so I reckon they will be getting their own SGC soon so they can join me.

I've got a lot to learn, mainly practicing on the skeet range, but I'm starting to hit more than I miss now thanks to some excellent coaching! shakeshout

Bought a couple of cheapish starter guns - both Lanbers, one from the last year of production and it's immaculate. I need to modify the shorter one as it's LOP is too short for me at the moment, easy enough though.
IMAG4250 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_20170906_125445_432 (1024x1024).jpg
Sera
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Just getting started

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

goodjob

Frangible targets are without doubt the most fun to shoot! bangbang
DVC
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Bravo there! The Lanber is a great starter shotgun and indeed might end up stopping with you for a long time :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GothicSera

#4 Post by GothicSera »

Ovenpaa wrote:Bravo there! The Lanber is a great starter shotgun and indeed might end up stopping with you for a long time :)
Several people have said this to me. And to be honest I can't fault it, I've got a full set of chokes with it and I've probably put more cartridges through it in the last 2 weeks than the previous owners have judging by it's condition.

I know parts are an issue now, but I'll just hope I don't need any! :D
Blackstuff wrote:goodjob

Especially when you manage to totally vapourise them.... bangbang
Sera
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#5 Post by kennyc »

GothicSera wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:Bravo there! The Lanber is a great starter shotgun and indeed might end up stopping with you for a long time :)
Several people have said this to me. And to be honest I can't fault it, I've got a full set of chokes with it and I've probably put more cartridges through it in the last 2 weeks than the previous owners have judging by it's condition.

I know parts are an issue now, but I'll just hope I don't need any! :D
Blackstuff wrote:goodjob

pigeons offer an equally satisfying hit indication a d are tastier than clays lol
Blackstuff

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

kennyc wrote:
GothicSera wrote:
pigeons offer an equally satisfying hit indication a d are tastier than clays lol
Not if you vapourise them! Well, you might catch some 'red-mist soup' if you stick your tongue out! razz
DVC
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#7 Post by DaveB »

The only problem is that it is addictive. Next you'll want a gun for Sporting. They multiply you see. Between my wife and I, we own shotguns for DTL, for skeet and for Sporting, plus 20 gauge shotguns to compete for the sub-gauge trophies. It never ends.
fenix
Home club or Range: Bisley

#8 Post by fenix »

I think that if I was starting shotgun shooting now (been shooting 26 years) I would get one gun and concentrate on that, rather than getting several. Because I used old Spanish SbS that were discards from other people I had a pigeon gun, wildfowling gun, clay gun, etc. I believer this slowed down my development. If I was starting again I would get a multichoke probably 28" and use that for everything. After a couple of years you can decide where you want to go and change for a gun more suitable for that, but a "general use" shotgun will do everything better than you can for quiet a while, also saves money on gun fitting. Out of my current cabinet contents, for users rather than collectors, I would only keep my 20 bore (for pigeon and pheasant), and then get a modern semi auto suitable for 3" magnum steels loads on wildfowl.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have only ever purchased one new shotgun, a Miroku 6000 back in the 90s, I had it fitted a few years later and it is still the only shotgun I regularly shoot although I do have a .410 Webley that comes out occasionally. A few more have come and gone in-between however it is the Miroku I feel most comfortable with and know best.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
GothicSera

#10 Post by GothicSera »

I only shoot the 30" one as it fits me properly. The 28" shorter one will ultimately become my partners (as it fits them) when they get their licence. In the mean time they are shooting with me occasionally and until they have their ticket it's under lock and key!

I don't intend to shoot with any different guns - it's multi choke so should do for different disciplines and I have no intention of shooting game anyway.

I've been out shooting a bit of sporting today - I was pleased with how that went considering it was the first time I've done it.
Sera