All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#1 Post by Dellboy »

Anyone any experience of the new 1301 comp pro ?

how does it stand up against its contemparies and what are they ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: 1301

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

Speaking as a PSG competition shooter and getting to see a variety of guns being used and abused for high cartridge counts, I like the 1301.

Some (a significant percentage) of the original 1301 had problems with double feeding which is a right pain in the backside to deal with on a tube magazine gun (especially if you're in the middle of a practical shotgun stage!). Most could be fixed with a cheap upgrade part from Magload, a few still displayed the problem even with it fitted. Other than that I'm not aware of any other issues. Whether that's translated over to the newer 'pro' model I don't know as the PSG season has been postponed/cancelled so I haven't seen any of the newer ones in action/spoken with the owners.

They are nice guns and the long forend means its suitable for a variety of sizes of shooters and grip styles, plus it makes the UK legal length barrels look better :p There are 'reviews' of the gun on the English Shooting and Racknload YouTube channels, but how much stock you place with them is for you to decide.

The Benelli M2 is still THE go-to gun for a semi-auto shotgun for the majority of competition shooters.
DVC
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Had an M2 for years and wanted to go back to a gas gun as the M2 had replaced a Remington 1100 and I find gas guns just shoot "nicer". I went with the Mossberg JM Pro first and unfortunately, the reality didn't match the reviews....

Along came the Beretta. A blinding shotgun! Supposedly it shoots 36% faster than an M2 and does so softer as well! The one big problem with the original 1301 is if the bolt latch was rocked rearward, it would dump the cartridges out of the tube. Great if you wanted to unload the tube and pressed the feed ramp in, utter disaster if unintentional! Take a while and three hands to sort. The little plastic thing from Magload is just s***. But, a new latch and shroud from Aridus did cure it.

However, on the 1301 Comp Pro, I believe this has been solved with a redesigned latch. They've also added some gold coloured bits as well! But for shooter comfort, they've changed the stippling on the furniture. Seriously, the original has some of the sharpest and most aggressive stippling I've ever felt!

I use my 1301 for all sorts. Some practical, some target slugs and even skeet! And it's even ventured out into the field! Considering I have some very, very good guns for these tasks, the fact the 1301 comes out is some testament.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
David24

#4 Post by David24 »

I was looking into the comp pro vs standard 1301 comps before I bought the standard 1301 comp at the end of last year, glad I did as...
The grip texture is tough when you first get it and haven't got used to it.
You Save £500, granted you can then get the port opened up a bit more than it is already open on comp (not as much as the comp pro mind).
The bolt release button issue has been rectified by beretta on the current production comps also, as my comp has the same release button as the comp pro.
The lifter assembly from a comp pro, can be purchased for £90 and be installed in a comp, according to magload. If you don't get it modified at the same time a larger port is cut if required.
And you get the benefit of not getting The beretta blue receiver.