Practical shotgun

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Practical shooter

Practical shotgun

#1 Post by Practical shooter »

Been away for a few years from practical shotgun but hopefully my fac will go through fine. Are they any new model of shotgun that is good for practical or is the m2 still the tried and tested model
Bovril
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Phoenix range, Barnsley

Re: Practical shotgun

#2 Post by Bovril »

Magazine fed option like the Typhoon?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

The M2 is still undoubtably the benchmark... but, if you're not fond of the inertia system, which I'm not as I really don't like the way it feels in recoil, the Mossberg JM Pro is a good gun, and the Beretta 1301 Comp is very, very quick.

I've owned all three, with an M2, twice. Currently using a 1301 Comp.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#4 Post by Dellboy »

Stoeger mk3000 is good and readyish to go as a comp gun sold loads got one in the cupboard
but the 1301 comp pro is so smooth but 3 times the price

lucky i have both ....
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Practical shooter

#5 Post by Practical shooter »

Thanks for the replies, I should have clarified non box magazine but thankfully all the replies where what I was looking for. I've seen a few m2s going very reasonably pre owned already tricked out so that's what got me thinking

Sent from my thong using "An application"
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

The M2 is still the way to go for 99% of people wanting a tube fed gun for PSG, with the SP being the closest version to a competition ready gun. It still needs work to the loading port done to get it up to current standards for quadloading though.

I've seen mixed results from the 1301, with 7/10 guns needing a replacement shell catch to prevent double feeding (fortunately its a cheap item and easily self-installed - from Magload). I have however seen two guns which still double feed even with the Magload part installed. The late 2019-earlier 2020 guns have supposedly been cured of this but as the competition season was cancelled this year I'm yet to see one. They also need port work doing to them.

The JM Pro 930's are a complete luck of the drawer gun from what I've seen with QA seemingly heavily dependent on the day of the week/which way the wind is blowing, with cracked receivers and snapped mag tubes being more than uncommon. On the other hand there are 2 in my local club that run like tops and the owners seem more than happy with them and 2 that appear 90%ish reliable. The newer 940's are still an unknown quantity but supposedly address some of the QA problems of the 930. They also need port work doing to them.

The Breda B12i is another option with some competition mods right out of the box but its not all that different in price to the M2.

My advice; just buy an M2. And just buy with the SP or short-mag field version, preferably with a 24" barrel. Don't buy the Practical/Tactical versions as some have fixed capacity magazine tubes and/or ported barrels and/or ghost ring sights.
DVC
Practical shooter

#7 Post by Practical shooter »

Blackstuff wrote:The M2 is still the way to go for 99% of people wanting a tube fed gun for PSG, with the SP being the closest version to a competition ready gun. It still needs work to the loading port done to get it up to current standards for quadloading though.

I've seen mixed results from the 1301, with 7/10 guns needing a replacement shell catch to prevent double feeding (fortunately its a cheap item and easily self-installed - from Magload). I have however seen two guns which still double feed even with the Magload part installed. The late 2019-earlier 2020 guns have supposedly been cured of this but as the competition season was cancelled this year I'm yet to see one. They also need port work doing to them.

The JM Pro 930's are a complete luck of the drawer gun from what I've seen with QA seemingly heavily dependent on the day of the week/which way the wind is blowing, with cracked receivers and snapped mag tubes being more than uncommon. On the other hand there are 2 in my local club that run like tops and the owners seem more than happy with them and 2 that appear 90%ish reliable. The newer 940's are still an unknown quantity but supposedly address some of the QA problems of the 930. They also need port work doing to them.

The Breda B12i is another option with some competition mods right out of the box but its not all that different in price to the M2.

My advice; just buy an M2. And just buy with the SP or short-mag field version, preferably with a 24" barrel. Don't buy the Practical/Tactical versions as some have fixed capacity magazine tubes and/or ported barrels and/or ghost ring sights.
Thank you for the fully comprehensive breakdown. That's really helped me in my decision, its going to be a m2 for me. Thanks again

Sent from my thong using "An application"