Best cartridge for semi-auto

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

greentangerine
Home club or Range: Dorchester Rifle & Pistol Club

Best cartridge for semi-auto

#1 Post by greentangerine »

Currently using Eley Super Smokers from SGC (28g, 7.5, 12G) in my Benelli semi-auto and get the occasional failure to eject.

The gun is clean so I expect it's just the occasional load not having enough oomph to cycle the action.

I'm limited to 28g and fibre wads where I shoot.

Any suggestions as to what might be more reliable?
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Best cartridge for semi-auto

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

If you are limited on load and shot size have you tried high velocity cartridges? Guaranteed to be more expensive than the SGC stuff so depends how often the failure to ejects are.
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#3 Post by J4mes »

I use supercomps and lyavale express in my hatsan, which I rarely clean, and have never had a failure to eject.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Is it an inertia model? Is it new? Could be that it still bedding in if it is, my Benelli M2 will run on virtually any 24gr and upwards cartridges, with the notable exception of Chedditte Universal trap and Gamebore Velocity (but even my lever-action won't work with those PoS!)

Saying that I've seen two 'identical' guns not run with the same ammo as it depends on the batch of the gun (spring manufacture/composition changes over time) and the amount of wear on the gun.

Hull Superfast and Fiocchi TT One seem popular in my PSG club, but most people use 32g #6 game cartridges theses days for more umph down range.
DVC
BamBam

#5 Post by BamBam »

27gram Hull Superfast runs like a swiss watch in my M2, as it did in my old Stoeger M3000.