moderating a shotgun

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

moderating a shotgun

#1 Post by Dellboy »

If you want to fit a moderator (removable)onto a shotgun is the moderator a licenced part ?

if yes does it go onto the shotgun certificate ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: moderating a shotgun

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

My guess - and it is only a guess so wait for someone who knows - is that, due to the ever genius licencing laws, if you put it on S2 shotgun its not licenced and if you put it on a S1 shotgun then it is and goes on your FAC...
The Event

#3 Post by The Event »

Ho Guidance 13.77 "It should be noted that sound moderators on air weapons or section 2 shotguns are not considered to be component parts." There's also a reminder in there that integral sound moderators do not require separate authorisation.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

There is a drop down for shotguns with integral sound moderators or words to that effect on the national system, so they do know about them :)

Re 13.77 it always intrigues me that FAC air rifles with sound moderators require the moderator to be listed on the FAC when licensed. Yet they are not Proofed.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#5 Post by Mattnall »

Ovenpaa wrote:Re 13.77 it always intrigues me that FAC air rifles with sound moderators require the moderator to be listed on the FAC when licensed. Yet they are not Proofed.
There's still a lot of doubt about the need to proof moderators for full bore as well. I have had one for many years that is not proofed.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Matt, the real issue is not if it is Proofed, but if you eventually want to sell it :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper

#7 Post by Sandgroper »

Ovenpaa wrote:Matt, the real issue is not if it is Proofed, but if you eventually want to sell it :)
But the new moderator I got with Christel's WMR has no proof marks on it! :o
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

This has been discussed at great length here: http://jacksonrifles.com/zz-silencers/ukproof.htm
/d

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

Ovenpaa wrote:This has been discussed at great length here: http://jacksonrifles.com/zz-silencers/ukproof.htm

You do realise that is nearly 20 years old and was only counsel opinion and not a judgement?

S57 defines what a "firearm" is and includes accessories that diminish noise and flash, hence the moderator intended for a FIREARM, is licensable as a firearm. Likewise, as the Gun Barrel Proof Act requires "Small Arms" to be proved prior to sale, transfer, export etc, or when offered for such, ergo, a moderator for a firearm requires the same proof as it is in itself due to the intended use, a firearm...

Bit the question really is, if a mod is a firearm per se, is it then a "small arm"? Or is it the "barrel" of a small arm? Or a component? For then it would require proof if such, by whatever definition...

(Now that's going to start a $hitstorm!!!) lol
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hasn’t it just. Christel will speak to the manufacturer first thing in the morning.
/d

Shed Journal