thoughts on .308 rifles

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
AL8

thoughts on .308 rifles

#1 Post by AL8 »

I know this is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string?
I have just completed my DSC1 (now the learning really starts)and am going to put in for a variation for a .308.
At present I do not have any land to shoot deer on but hopefully that will change in the future. I was thinking on getting something like a Parker Hale, BSA, CZ etc, I initially want to do a lot of range work to get used to it, then hopefully shoot some deer. Thoughts on guns available?
I cant afford new so it will have to be secondhand, no more than £500. I realise this is not a lot. Open to comments
Thanks
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: thoughts on .308 rifles

#2 Post by dromia »

You won't go wrong with S/H BSA. PH or CZ/BRNO.

They are the best shooting bargains out there as to stalking fraternity they just aren't sexy or fashionable, their loss I'm afraid. Any deer I've shot with mine haven't complained to me that it wasn't a Blastiksak that killed them.

Good shooting BSA's and PHs can be had for a song especially if you are not to worried about a bit of external wear, many of these rifles were carried a lot and shot a little. So long as it is functioning and the rifling is good then you will get good service out of them. The last BSA 308 I sold a couple of months ago went for £175, so plenty of room in your budget for decent s/h Pecar scope to top your rig off.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#3 Post by M99 »

I've got a lovely ph 308 with the original mounts and original nikko 6x42 scope on it. It is a 1100 deluxe but with a removable box magazine. It will come in well under your budget (and I mean well under)
It shoots superb.

Drop me a line if interested. I would be happy to keep it until you get a variation.

Mike
Scotsgun

#4 Post by Scotsgun »

dromia wrote:You won't go wrong with S/H BSA. PH or CZ/BRNO.

They are the best shooting bargains out there as to stalking fraternity they just aren't sexy or fashionable, their loss I'm afraid.
:goodjob: Can't agree more with Dromia. CZs tend to be a bit short in the stock for me, but Parker Hale and BSAs are excellent rifles to stalk with. Also you won't cry like a little girl when you accidentally drop it or scrape it against the barbed wire fence - which you will do - we all have.
AL8

#5 Post by AL8 »

Thanks guys, best get the variation in. Whats the betting they decide to put mentoring on my ticket, at the moment its only for target
Scotsgun

#6 Post by Scotsgun »

AL8 wrote:Thanks guys, best get the variation in. Whats the betting they decide to put mentoring on my ticket, at the moment its only for target
Doubtful. Essex were certainly one of the more enlightened licensing depts when i had a cert with them. Does Mike still run the dept?
Dave 101

#7 Post by Dave 101 »

Scotsgun wrote:
AL8 wrote:Thanks guys, best get the variation in. Whats the betting they decide to put mentoring on my ticket, at the moment its only for target
Doubtful. Essex were certainly one of the more enlightened licensing depts when i had a cert with them. Does Mike still run the dept?
MF yes . and JH .

Dave
Jockyboy

#8 Post by Jockyboy »

Thats excellent advice from Dromia - save the money for some nice glass and use the rest on stalking somewhere nice !
Jenks

#9 Post by Jenks »

My first stalking rifle was a Parker Hale M81 classic in 308win. classy looking rifle and very robust. it's the one in the middle here. I finally chopped it in for a Sako75 in 270win. which IMHO was a much better bit of kit, but then again it cost an awful lot more. If you have a modest budget go with the PH and spend the saving on a decent set of mount/rings and of course glass :good:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/ ... le0001.jpg

Jenks.
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#10 Post by waterford103 »

BSA CF" in .308 would be perfect,Brno zkk601 is very very good if a little short in the stock but thicker buttpads cure that and a good ,late Parker - Hale ,especially the M81 mentioned earlier or ,if you can find one ,the P-H Scout rifle with detachable box mag and laminated stock.They are all bargain buys and you will never shoot one out.
:goodjob:
:wales: :flag6:
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933