grouse shooting poll

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

Re: grouse shooting poll

#11 Post by Andy632 »

dromia wrote:I'm off to Scotland for 10 days tomorrow and I'll certainly be murdering some as well as some staggies whilst I'm away. bangbang

What have Ross-County done to deserve that????????

http://www.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk/the-club.aspx
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

#12 Post by JS569 »

Chuck wrote:Well I'd say YES it SHOULD continue if it would let me.

If it's for the pot then fine, if left to rot then NO. Since I assume most grouse are eaten what's the problem. Don't tell me it's cruel, that's just bollox. CRUEL is slitting an animals throat while someone says a prayer over it, having animals in pens waiting to be killed in the next room or dragging chickens through electrified baths to "stun" them before they hit the machines - not always successful.

I think if people are worried about animal welfare then fine, but get into reality mode and stop picking on a sector that DOES ultimately affect other shooters.

As an aside, I wish to hell those who have a pop at other shooting sport disciplines because THEY do not like it would STFU and think how asking the government to ONCE AGAIN interfere in our sport and ways of life can only have bad and unintended consequences.!
clapclap Well said! Don't tell me that the majority of the meat in our food chain has a better life than a wild grouse or duck or stag and so forth...Then not to mention how other nations treat animals. I am all for responsible management of game but (I'm not accusing anyone here) the ignorance of people to those who shoot for the pot and judge them bl**dy irks me! If you can't generate an informed opinion (or just to lazy to bother) don't wade in
ninja_geezer
Home club or Range: N.E.L.T.C and North Cotes Butts

PLEASE vote YES

#13 Post by ninja_geezer »

Marlin 1894 .44 Mag

Weihrauch HW100 T .177

CZ 453 Premium .17HMR (Joe West Custom stock)

Anschutz 1417 .22 Thumbhole

Tikka T3 Stainless/Grey Laminate .223

Browning Maxus 12g Grade 3 walnut
Chuck

Re: PLEASE vote YES

#14 Post by Chuck »

oh I see it's working now..Voted. YES!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Christel
Site Admin

#15 Post by Christel »

Voted.

I can see that the YES votes are not that far behind the NO votes.
rickus

#16 Post by rickus »

voted.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

Andy632 wrote:
dromia wrote:I'm off to Scotland for 10 days tomorrow and I'll certainly be murdering some as well as some staggies whilst I'm away. bangbang

What have Ross-County done to deserve that????????

http://www.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk/the-club.aspx

They are from rosshire, nearly as bad as gollachs.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dougan

#18 Post by Dougan »

Sandgroper wrote:
Dougan wrote:Difficult one this - as much as I dislike large organised shoots, I'm not sure I can vote to ban grouse shooting altogether...where could that lead with respect to other game shooters and hunters...?

What I would like to see is far more serious controls by the Environment Agency and DEFRA (yes I know that's laughable) to ensure that the management of such estates doesn't impact severely on the rest of the environment; including prosecutions for killing protected species, and the possible introduction of non-toxic shot (people who can afford grouse shooting can afford it)...

...it would reduce the number of grouse bred, and therefore the estates prospects of revenue.....but tough s***!
Not to mention that the management of grouse moors have resulted in increased biodiversity compared to unmanaged moorland.
I think 'have' is the operative word there...

I agree that good estate management can be beneficial to the environment...we have an estate down here that breeds pheasants for shooting, which I don't like, but have to concede that the land is some of the most bio-diverse I've seen in the UK...

...however if an estate's management includes killing every mammal, bird and reptile that may pose a threat to their 'golden grouse'...then that's not exactly great for biodiversity...
Dougan

#19 Post by Dougan »

I was going to comment...but it's time to watch England and Scotland play 'the beautiful game'.....well England anyway... razz
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#20 Post by Blackstuff »

Pole closed again now that the Yes's have it :roll:
DVC