Getting Soft In My Old Age

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Getting Soft In My Old Age

#21 Post by Christel »

As long as the animal has had a good life and is being slaughtered humanely, no problem. Clean shot, down. Drain and gut.

Ovenpaa has deer and anything that is sustainable. Organic, free range.

I do not buy from the supermarket which in my eyes supports an industry which is very similar to what Hitler did to the Jews.

Transported and killed on an assembly line. What an awful and stressful way to go. The animals know, which makes it even worse.
Dougan

#22 Post by Dougan »

northumbrian wrote:Well I've just slaughtered a pig today, so in a week or so time, loads of bacon, pork & ham, not to mentions sausages & burgers.
At the end of the day you have to have the attitude, you are rearing it for the plate, not as a family pet.
Not easy I know very well it's not easy, my wife cannot be anywhere near it when the gun goes off, she just can't do it.

Me, I cry, but I then thank the pig for feeding my family, it's bonkers I know, but it's my way of dealing with killing an animal for food.
There's also the advantage of knowing exactly where the meat came from, and what it was feed with.....

...I could do it if I had to, and have no criticism of those who do.
Dougan

#23 Post by Dougan »

christel wrote:As long as the animal has had a good life and is being slaughtered humanely, no problem. Clean shot, down. Drain and gut.
Yep, a clean shot out of the blue (or from Blu) has to be the best way for an animal to go...
northumbrian
Home club or Range: A.S. Société de Tir Saint-Junien

#24 Post by northumbrian »

christel wrote:As long as the animal has had a good life and is being slaughtered humanely, no problem. Clean shot, down. Drain and gut.

Ovenpaa has deer and anything that is sustainable. Organic, free range.

I do not buy from the supermarket which in my eyes supports an industry which is very similar to what Hitler did to the Jews.

Transported and killed on an assembly line. What an awful and stressful way to go. The animals know, which makes it even worse.
Our sentiments exactly, my wife found a butcher near us who, also has the same view, and as such rears in a good clean free range environment and kills humanely, and butchers all in house and ensuring the animal has had a good stress free life.

That's where we get our beef and lamb from.

Supermarket meat, is crap anyway, plus all of the the above reasons mean it's even more unpalatable.
Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer.... Just in case your friends turn out to be Ba***rds
Blu

#25 Post by Blu »

Scotsgun wrote:Not short of a few acres then! Can you access all of it (provided your tag is in season) or are you restricted to blocks?

Must you book on and off?

I've always fancied taking a decent pronghorn for a head. I saw some when last in Texas, but I wasn't there to shoot and my timing was all wrong.

Marc
Marc, the majority of it is open to hunting unless the DNR has something going on in a particular unit/area. Nope no booking, just go wherever one wants to go and do your thing. I've hunted pronghorn out West, their meat is a very acquired taste.

Blu :twisted:
Blu

#26 Post by Blu »

Dougan,
Arrrh, I didn't think you'd be such a soft boiled turnip
:grin: Yeah well like I said, had I shot the animal where it stood and while it wouldn't have known what hit it, well it just didn't feel right to do so. As I have said in the past, I will never take a shot that may cause an animal any suffering but in this case, well to have shot it would have been an insult to the animal. I can't really explain it so I'll say it just didn't feel right, I was happy to just watch it grazing away.

Blu :twisted:
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#27 Post by Ovenpaa »

Deer stew this weekend. Diced Fallow with as many different winter vegetables as we could find all in large chunks, some mushrooms and seasoning in a big pot with some red wine because it was open, simmer for ages and enjoy. Not an trace of chemicals in sight other than whatever they put in Spanish red wine these days. I had mine with thickly sliced toast covered in salted Danish butter.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
northumbrian
Home club or Range: A.S. Société de Tir Saint-Junien

#28 Post by northumbrian »

ovenpaa wrote:Deer stew this weekend. Diced Fallow with as many different winter vegetables as we could find all in large chunks, some mushrooms and seasoning in a big pot with some red wine because it was open, simmer for ages and enjoy. Not an trace of chemicals in sight other than whatever they put in Spanish red wine these days. I had mine with thickly sliced toast covered in salted Danish butter.
Oh you just had to post that didn't you, now I'm hungry, and it still 2 hours til lunch time :cool2:
Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer.... Just in case your friends turn out to be Ba***rds