Expanding ammo test.

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
TobyH

Expanding ammo test.

#1 Post by TobyH »

I decided to try out some factory rounds today at Kynoch. Firstly because I haven't shot any through my stalking rifle since my ticket allowed be and secondly to see what the range was like at Kynoch.

I bought some Federal Premier 150gr Ballistic Tips (green plastic), some Remington Ballistic tip (think it was 168gr?) green tip, and some geco soft point 179 gr.

This was shot in my Parker Hale 'Scout' .308 19" 1:11 twist barrel with S&B 7x50 scope and ASE Utra S5 Mod.

Range was very well set up with either sitting, standing or prone setup. Had the place to myself which was good. Initially zeroed the rifle at 50m to make sure as I'd changed the rings on my scope to Leupold QD.

The biggest problem I had was keeping the barrel cool. They did have a fan which helped but after 3 rounds the barrel got quite warm. This meant of course that the hour I'd booked went very quickly and I only ended up shooting 24 rounds!

To the ammo. After getting zeroed at 100m, I started with the Remington ammo. After making sure the barrel was cool(ish) I shot a group of 5. The results weren't great with a grouping of approx.1.75". I wasn't impressed.

However, I was then shocked. I tried the Federal rounds and the first three round group was over 2.25"! This was with a cool barrel and excellent rifle rests, no wind and me being focussed!! So after three rounds I didn't bother with any more as it was a waste of time, which was running out!

I then tried the Gecco Soft Points. At last!! I shot 5 rounds, with a 1" group. I wasn't convinced so without letting the barrel cool shot another 5 rounds. The group was still 1".

So after a nice little shooting session I now know which rounds suit my rifle, I suspect with the tighter twist the heavier rounds were always going to work best. With that kind of accuracy I think I won't bother re-loading for deer stalking as the number of shots won't justify the time.

As for Kynoch, very relaxed and very helpful staff. Perfect conditions for testing, if a little pricey at £30 for the hour, which never seems to be long enough!!
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." - Dick Sharples
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Expanding ammo test.

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have only shot at the Kynoch range the once but enjoyed it, everything is nicely laid out and you are left to your own devices. Sounds like the Geco works well for you with the PH, I have not heard of it before, who makes it and what is it like price wise?

Have you considered becoming a member at the range, they shoot Thursdays and if you are going to head over a few times it makes sense to join, I twill be handy for checking out 6.5 Swede as well :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TobyH

#3 Post by TobyH »

Geco is owned by RUAG I believe. I'ts pretty cheap and alot of people I've heard find it very good. I will certainly be using it in future.

At Thetford on sat someone was saying about the club, but they also said they did think that either it wasn't happening any more or that they weren't taking on new members. But I would very much like to join as apparently you can use it any time its a free slot and costs a third of the normal cost. Will ask about it. There will be plenty to try out with the 6.5 for sure.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

From memory membership is around GBP60/year and it is then GBP10/session however I think they only shoot on Thursdays. I have seriously considered it however I doubt I would use it very often and I dislike the light in the tunnel.

I may have to book a session with my 7mm at some point though to do some load comparisons between the Berger and SMK 180's
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Is that the range in the tunnel?

When I was last there it only went back to 80 yards.

Nice set up, their pressure testing kit is useful.

I was shooting .600" Nitro Express there, 15 quid a pop.

Phwoarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :twisted:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes it is still in the tunnel but is now 100m. They have the pressure testing rig in the right hand lane. I was fascinated by the size of some of the brass that was sitting on the side after testing. The sort of things that would not just stop a raging bull elephant but more likely vaporise it (To paraphrase Tom Sharpe)
/d

Shed Journal
TobyH

#7 Post by TobyH »

They've got a load of what they make on display in the entrance hall, some of the rounds are HUGE!! Make interesting shooting...
TobyH

#8 Post by TobyH »

Speaking of expanding ammo, has anyone got any other recommendations in factory rounds suitable for the 'scout'?

Want to try as many as I can to find the most suitable for future use.