Killing of Swans

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Christel
Site Admin

Killing of Swans

#1 Post by Christel »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... 687423684A

I have to ask the forum.
What is your opinion of this?

We had a similar case a few years ago in Bedford where many swans, some geese and some birds of prey were all shot and buried in a pit.
They eventually found whoever was guilty of the crime and from memory it was a slap over the hand....in my opinion the offenders ought to have been jailed for the same period as any serial killer.
Despicable. behaviour if you ask me.
Robin128

Re: Kiling of swans

#2 Post by Robin128 »

Time we bought back flogging!
Dangermouse

Re: Killing of swans

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

Air guns - again. At least 8 more firearms offences to add to the anti shooting brigade's figures,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Another good reason to licence these bloody things.
Scotsgun

#5 Post by Scotsgun »

Scum, pure and simple. I wonder if they are Poles. Poles are regularly caught slaughtering swans, but they usually kill them to eat.

The action of killing unnecessarily and causing suffering of any animal is dispicable, but i don't hold any misplaced affection for swans. I've been involved in several swan hunts in NZ in which we shot many, perhaps a 100 in total. They freshwater black swan is actually very good eating.
alan108

#6 Post by alan108 »

christel wrote:Another good reason to licence these bloody things.

Agreed, but with great difficulty,I fear.

Alan :)
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Killing of Swans

#7 Post by Christel »

I just can't get my head around anyone killing anything and then just throwing it in a pit.

Think of the Polish people what you want, at least they eat the swans they kill.
Robin128

#8 Post by Robin128 »

Responsible hunters kill to keep vermin under control...otherwise crops and flocks will not yield what was planned.

Responsible hunters kill for the meat to eat.

Others that kill for the sake of it...well, something loose upstairs I'm afraid.

:)
barney57

#9 Post by barney57 »

Robin128 wrote:Responsible hunters kill to keep vermin under control...otherwise crops and flocks will not yield what was planned.

Responsible hunters kill for the meat to eat.

Others that kill for the sake of it...well, something loose upstairs I'm afraid.

:)

As you will know I do some vermin control in my spare time,,I had a call a couple of days ago from a lady, who owns a cottage which has a large mill pond beside it, I think by the sounds of it she rents it out as a holiday let,,,,well she has two canada geese on the pond which have produced 6 goslings,,,the lawns are covered in s***,,and the parents are very protective of their young and charge at people staying there,,,she wanted me to come and get rid of the geese all 8 of them,,,,I refused whilst they had young their,, she said but they will come back next year if we dont dispose of them now,,, I said I will not shoot them while they have young there, and told her to wait a few weeks the young will fledge and go their own way,, and if they come back next year to call me and we can do something before they breed again.....
my standards,, was I right, or was I wrong???
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Cede Nullis (Yield to None)
Kernow Bys Vyken (Cornwall for ever)
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

Hat off to you Barney!

You were right in saying no. Not while they have youngsters.

I will however not be surprised if she is able to get someone else who doesn't care to do it.