Purchasing a knife from the US

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Purchasing a knife from the US

#1 Post by Mike357 »

Does anybody know if there would be any issue at UK Customs re the importation of a knife into the UK from the US. The item would be posted. Is it legal? The seller does ship to the UK and hasn't had problems before but his web site carries a caveat which got me thinking. Anybody have any experience of purchasing a knife from the US?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
JonC

Re: Purchasing a knife from the US

#2 Post by JonC »

Plenty of people on BritishBlades have had trouble, mainly with locking folders, but also avoid anything with combat connotations, or finger guards (knuckle dusters).

Main issues with locking folders is that they "could" be classed as flick knives, depending on interpretation of the law.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#3 Post by Mike357 »

Knife in question is a fixed balde, straightforward but modern design, kydex sheath. Blade approx 3.5"
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Mike357 wrote:Knife in question is a fixed balde, straightforward but modern design, kydex sheath. Blade approx 3.5"
UK Legal knife length is 3"
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

As long as you have good reason to hold it such as removing Boy scouts from horses hoofs it should not be a problem. As an aside apparently the Bear Grylls fixed blade knife built by Gerber (4.8" blade) was the best selling knife of its kind in the world in 2011.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#6 Post by DW58 »

I've ordered multi-tools and Swiss Army knives from US dealers with no problems whatsoever.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
Charlie Muggins

#7 Post by Charlie Muggins »

christel wrote:
Mike357 wrote:Knife in question is a fixed balde, straightforward but modern design, kydex sheath. Blade approx 3.5"
Minor correction to a common misconception, the 3" limit relates to being allowed to carry a non-locking folding-blade knife without needing to provide a 'good reason'. Crminal Justice Act 1988 S139a. There is no 'legal maximum' to knives in UK law, you just need to be able to provide a 'reasonable defence' if found carrying anything that does not meet the above criteria. Common defences are work, hobby/pastime, national costume and religious custom.
FencepostError

#8 Post by FencepostError »

Charlie Muggins wrote:
christel wrote:
Minor correction to a common misconception, the 3" limit relates to being allowed to carry a non-locking folding-blade knife without needing to provide a 'good reason'. Crminal Justice Act 1988 S139a. There is no 'legal maximum' to knives in UK law, you just need to be able to provide a 'reasonable defence' if found carrying anything that does not meet the above criteria. Common defences are work, hobby/pastime, national costume and religious custom.
Additionally, it's worth noting that this just applies to possessing things in public - you can buy and own most knives (at home) even without any specific "good reason".

(Though if you follow the discussions on BritishBlades, you'll see that customs are largely able to interpret the law as they like - they have little to lose even if you win an appeal.)
Harry Brown

#9 Post by Harry Brown »

Hi,

I used to have a very big commando knife collection with some very rare WW2 FS knives. I re-imported many from the USA. Customs at this end are W****ers .
i
Get the seller to state on the custom declaration " Used Cutlery" this is legally what it is if S/H and does not attract unwanted attention. Then ask him to declare value below $30 to avoid import duty and attention!
I used to ship many this way ....Some well over a $1000! never had a problem.

Good luck

Too many to post.
DL.

#10 Post by DL. »

Harry Brown wrote:Hi,

I used to have a very big commando knife collection with some very rare WW2 FS knives. I re-imported many from the USA. Customs at this end are W****ers .
i
Get the seller to state on the custom declaration " Used Cutlery" this is legally what it is if S/H and does not attract unwanted attention. Then ask him to declare value below $30 to avoid import duty and attention!
I used to ship many this way ....Some well over a $1000! never had a problem.

Good luck

Too many to post.
My compliments on such an impressive F.S collection. :good:

I've only ordered hunting knives once from the US, and they were declared as being "Kitchen cutteries" I notice that the company I used no longer exists, but was seriously considering sourcing a modern military knife by Ontario Knife Company, however the red tape just seemed to be too much of a deterrent. :bad: