I've been tasked to take care of two Squirrels....

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Blu

Re: I've been tasked to take care of two Squirrels....

#41 Post by Blu »

bigfathairybiker wrote:I could just use one of these..... :lol:

Mark

Tm90IHBvc3RlZCB3aXRoIFRhcGF0YWxrLg0K
Mark, I wouldn't if I were you tongueout , the guy who set that up was later charged by the DNR with animal cruelty.

Blu :twisted:
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#42 Post by Sandgroper »

Dougan wrote:
images.jpg
Why us!? - I can think of other rodents that breed faster, are more sustainable, and have far more meat on them...
That may be the case, but I follow an Australian adage - If it's feral, it's in peril. It's just that I prefer to utilise the 'ferals' if possible.

Or looking at it another way, if humans are the cause of the the problem then we should fix it - even if it means the alien species is removed permanently from it's non-native habitat. There is or should be a balance between prey and predator in nature - if the prey species has no natural predator then we as those responsible for the imbalance must fulfil that role.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Dougan

#43 Post by Dougan »

oaken wrote:
Dougan wrote:
Ah, more rhetoric from the anti-squirrel brigade...

...the first link is from the Ornithological Society - They are (as you can imagine) totally biased towards birds, and see most mammals as evil - What they won't tell you, is that while squirrels are partial to a few birds eggs, they are by no means the worst offenders...many birds will destroy other nests (even within their own species) just for territorial reasons. And robins (yes the cute ikkle robin) are one of the worst, particularly when it comes to destroying blackbird eggs...

...this is the real truth; backed by scientists who understand whole ecosystems, and are not just biased/obsessed with a single species.

And the second link, to me anyway, is the peak of hypocrisy...while squirrels do damage trees, so do a lot of other animal...and none of them are even a drop in the ocean compared to what humans are doing...

...I just love the way we like to blame any other species than ourselves :roll:
Ah, the truth as Dougan sees it!
And you accuse me of rhetoric clapclap
Grey squirrels are a recently introduced ALIEN species. Yes other native species do do more damage to the songbird population and our woodlands but they are an indigenous part of our, admittedly, fecked up ecosystem.
I would rather see thrushes hopping around and healthy woodlands than be deceived by the cute fluffiness of this destructive alien species. As you point out, our own environment has enough trouble without tree rats!
Don't get me started on magpies!!!
If you're concerned about 'alien' species, then I'd be more worried about the current rate that they are now arriving...many are aquatic or fauna; so are not as obvious as a mammal, but some could do some real damage to what is left of our countryside...grey squirrels have been here for nearly 150 years...I don't want to upset you but the fight against the grey was lost long ago.

I don't always see squirrels as cute and fury...they can be bad tempered destructive little critters when they want to be...they dig up my lawn and patio pots (sometime while looking me in the eye!)...but I still don't see that as a reason to harm them.

Magpies are a traditional UK species - They are very intelligent and can hunt as well as they scavenge; and as they are a large bird tend to dominate...

...we have created a habitat (far greater savaging opportunities than they would normally have) for them where they thrive - I really don't understand why so many people hate them...they've always been connected with evil in folklore...you're not scared of them are you?
Dougan

#44 Post by Dougan »

Chapuis wrote:Dougan said - "...but then as people on here keep telling me, I am a 'Bambi shagging tree-hugger'..."

Dougan that's illegal also. :grin:
:lol:
Dougan

#45 Post by Dougan »

bigfathairybiker wrote:
Dougan wrote: ...it sounds like you have a lovely spot for squirrels; so I guarantee that if you remove them, others will move in to replace them, so it won't solve the walnut tree problem.
That is something I will be discussing with my Dad.
The only reason that there are squirrels there is because it is such a great place for squirrels.

What I think I will probably do is catch them before they eat the walnuts and release them over Barton range as they could do with some. :roll:

Then hopefully we will be able to harvest the nuts before another pair move in.

btw: Do squirrels find their way back or is it another pair that has moved in?

Anyway they will be left in peace this weekend as tomorrow is competition fun day at the ITSC!

Mark

Not posted with Nippletalk.

I don't think squirrels would find their way back to your property, unless there was a clear wildlife corridor (woodlands, fields etc.) all the way back; and I doubt it very much from 10 miles away...

...it's just natural that as more habitat become available, then a few more offspring from the surrounding populations will survive by filling the gap.

That's an interesting idea about trying to catch them before the walnut harvest...as much as it pains me, I have to agree with some of the comment made about not releasing them...

...maybe you could just take them 'hostage' for a week or two razz

Have a good shoot tomorrow :cheers:
Dougan

#46 Post by Dougan »

Sandgroper wrote:
Dougan wrote:
images.jpg
Why us!? - I can think of other rodents that breed faster, are more sustainable, and have far more meat on them...
That may be the case, but I follow an Australian adage - If it's feral, it's in peril. It's just that I prefer to utilise the 'ferals' if possible.

Or looking at it another way, if humans are the cause of the the problem then we should fix it - even if it means the alien species is removed permanently from it's non-native habitat. There is or should be a balance between prey and predator in nature - if the prey species has no natural predator then we as those responsible for the imbalance must fulfil that role.
I once got quite a telling off for feeding feral cats at a campsite in WA ( :oops: ) ...but I totally agree with their stance on invasive species...

...don't forget though that much of Australia and it's wildlife is the same as it was thousands of years ago...whereas in the same timescale, the UK has completely changed.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#47 Post by meles meles »

oomans is an invasive species too...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
tackb

#48 Post by tackb »

bigfathairybiker wrote:
Dougan wrote: ...it sounds like you have a lovely spot for squirrels; so I guarantee that if you remove them, others will move in to replace them, so it won't solve the walnut tree problem.
That is something I will be discussing with my Dad.
The only reason that there are squirrels there is because it is such a great place for squirrels.

What I think I will probably do is catch them before they eat the walnuts and release them over Barton range as they could do with some. :roll:

Then hopefully we will be able to harvest the nuts before another pair move in.

btw: Do squirrels find their way back or is it another pair that has moved in?

Anyway they will be left in peace this weekend as tomorrow is competition fun day at the ITSC!

Mark

Not posted with Nippletalk.
I wouldn't do that unless they are 6br proof !
Sandgroper

#49 Post by Sandgroper »

meles meles wrote:oomans is an invasive species too...
So are Badgers - they invade discussions without adding anything of substance to them...

Sandgroper

#50 Post by Sandgroper »

Dougan wrote:
I once got quite a telling off for feeding feral cats at a campsite in WA ( :oops: ) ...but I totally agree with their stance on invasive species...

...don't forget though that much of Australia and it's wildlife is the same as it was thousands of years ago...whereas in the same timescale, the UK has completely changed.
That's irrelevant. Grey Squirrels have been in the UK for about the same time as rabbits, foxes and other ferals have been in Australia - the difference is we don't see them as cute and cuddly. We see them as invasive species that the damage the environment and destroy our native species; so we try like hell to get rid of them and rectify our mistakes in releasing them.