Fox hunting: a reasoned debate...

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Fox hunting: a reasoned debate...

#1 Post by meles meles »

oomans,

Might it be possible on this 'ere forum to have a polite, respectful and reasoned debate about the pros and cons of fox hunting ?

We're in two minds about it: we get along fine with Brer Fox most of the time, and there are those that say he keeps vermin under control and on the whole does more good than harm. Equally, many can point to instances where Brer Fox gets a bit ittzy and does quite a bit of harm, often in the hen house. There are those that see hunting fox on horseback with dogs as a quintessential part of ye olde England, and others who feel that shooting is more appropriate. Some, of course, feel Brer Fox is wrongly persecuted and must never be hunted / shot.

What are your thoughts, oh polite and reasonabubble oomans?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

Re: Fox hunting: a reasoned debate...

#2 Post by M99 »

I hunt on horse back, last season with the four shires, which is a bloodhound pack hunting the clean boot (human runner) but have hunted with fox packs previously and will no doubt again. I hunt for the sheer fun of the ride, it is not now or never was an effective method of fox control.

Mike
Swamp Donkey
Home club or Range: Wessex Rifles

#3 Post by Swamp Donkey »

I shoot them when they are causing a problem on the farm, and I take a few cubs to keep the numbers down, but I wouldn't shoot every one I saw.

Hunting on horseback, the way I see it, it was a reason for a good jolly on the horses. The 'success rate' isn't high in terms of how many got caught. I did partake on a few 'cubbing' jaunts when I had my mad mare, and it was bloody hard work to be fair, and I was more impressed I made it home alive m'self. Though I didn't fit in, too 'stuffy' for me, but then again, I find 'English' riding too 'stuffy' too and ride 'western' m'self.

I see a fair few foxes at work, (Salisbury Plain Training Area) and quite enjoy sitting and watching them, especially the cubs playing.

Pete
nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

#4 Post by nickb834 »

I can't claim to have direct experience of Fox hunting in any capacity, but here's my two penneth.

We've hunted to extinction the only thing capable of natural predation of fox and deer populations (the wolf, as to when - that is debatable) and so what else is there to control the population but us.

I have no problem with controlling fox populations and having a bit of sport at the same time, and I would hope that the incidences of people taking inappropriate shots causing suffering is kept to an absolute minimum.

What I do struggle with a little and I don't know enough to come out with an outright statement on this, is the prospect of dog(s) (number largely irrelevant) finishing a fox off. It doesn't quite sit right with me and I'd be hard pressed to believe a round with the appropriate characteristics wouldn't be more humane.

Now, if it was a case of the dogs flush the fox and then it's finished off with a 12 bore or whatever - then fine, that sit's ok with me (defo doesn't sit well with the wife, she's a rizla paper's width away from being an anti).
SevenSixTwo

#5 Post by SevenSixTwo »

You wouldn't put a horse down with a pack of dogs - so why do it to a fox?

Drag hunt all you like if it's about the thrill of the chase.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
Dougan

#6 Post by Dougan »

I can understand farmers and small-holders shooting foxes, but I think that too many people use 'vermin control' as an excuse for what I find a strange hobby...

...and in respect for Badger's request for 'reasoned debate', I'll just say that I have some serious issues with hunting foxes on horseback with dogs.
Mr_Logic

#7 Post by Mr_Logic »

Have never seen a problem with it. Most of the time, the fox gets a quick kill when it is caught. I have never agreed with digging out of foxes which have made it to ground, mind - strikes me that it needs to be reasonably fair, so if the fox wins, come back another day - he's won.
Caveman
Home club or Range: FCSA

#8 Post by Caveman »

If a fox is a problem then shoot it, if I see you riding around in red then sorry but I am going to make you the evenings entertainment.
Mr_Logic

#9 Post by Mr_Logic »

I haven't seen much of a reason from you antis... Free country, so why ban it? Daft then, still daft, and not about animal welfare anyway!
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#10 Post by Triffid »

I'm 'lucky' enough to have foxes living in the back garden. Generally they don't cause any problems apart from driving the dog mad. I'm planning to get some hens though, and realise that the coop is going to have to be well and truely fox-proof.

However the same can't be said for the bl**dy Badgers who also live in the garden, happily co-habitating with the foxes. They are a complete manace . . . in particular they've broken into my guinea-pig run and scoffed the lot, dug lots of holes (and piled up the spoil in huge heaps), completely ruined my freshly-lain lawn by strewing the turfs around in their search for worms, make big holes in the hedge letting the dog get out and eat the veg that I try to grow.

Sod the foxes. Anyone for a debate on the Badger cull?

Triffid