6.5x47 or 6.5x55 for hunting?

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: 6.5x47 or 6.5x55 for hunting?

#11 Post by Sandgroper »

A sporterised 1942 Husquvarna. It's screw cut for a moderator (1/2UNF) as well. I haven't decided for sure if I want to sell it or not, but I am looking at different calibres as options for change. If I do decide to sell, I'll be advertising it here in about months time - after variation, research etc.
Attachments
Husky2.jpg
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
The trakker

#12 Post by The trakker »

i used the swed 65x55 for about 7 years now over a 270, it is a very forgiving easy to reload clibre,in 120 & 139gr heads, easy on the recoil & meat damage is minimal. Out to 600 yard is very very efficient. It will drop med/large deer etc further , but im in my comfort zone at this. You may get a wanderer, but over the 243 is superior , 270 a bit harsh for me, & 308 can mash meat !!
Jenks

#13 Post by Jenks »

Just noticed this thread. I have shot Deer with 308win. 270win and 6.5x55 se. They all do the job very well. If I had to choose, then I would go with the 6.5x55se. I have a Blaser match barrel.the barrel switches from My LRS2 stock/action for target shooting out to 1200x to my Offroad stock for stalking. I also have a 308win barrel that does the same thing but hardly get used on either Stock/action.

Jenks
tikkathreebarrels

#14 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

No experience of the 6.5 x 47 which seems well regarded as a target round but the six and a half Swede is a lovely round and I've been saying for a long time that when my 243 dies I'll replace it with the Swede. It'll mean going from short to long action but there...
richard

#15 Post by richard »

I have both these cals find them both good on deer.However this year iv shot the 6.5x47 more acounted for 41 roe,each one dropping on the spot or just running a few yards.In my opinion it is more important on shot placement.The 47 is atad quicker at 2950 fps they dont know its coming :lol: :lol: :lol:
tikkathreebarrels

#16 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

And don't forget I've got an advert full of 6.5 x 55 brass, target bullets, some softpoints and dies.
And I want to sell these things, not just nurse 'em forever!
Remoulade muncher

#17 Post by Remoulade muncher »

Interesting little article, I have a 6.5 x 47 Lapua on order from Cooper Rifles in the States. I would expect to use it on smaller Deer maybe up to Fallow but I also have a .308 for the big boys. Now another thing is that the one that I have on order is only a 1 in 9 twist rate unlike the more common 1 in 8, according to Cooper Rifles it's optimum bullet weight will be 123 grains. I am looking forward to getting it and also doing some long range bunny bashing and foxing too, just need to find some glass to sit on top of it now!
Cheers RM.
ps. I was once called Deer Hunter on here but my account messed up?
Steve

#18 Post by Steve »

I know of two people who use unusual calibres for deer.One uses a K98 Mauser and the other a Nagant!
My FEO also said that 303 is particulary good for deer.
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda
kingburyshot

#19 Post by kingburyshot »

6x55 has worked well for me these past fifteen years, it has a good range of bullet heads so you can match it to the type of deer you are stalking, not too much noise or recoil so it is easy to shoot and does not offend the neighbours much. Most importantly the long bullets seem very lethal. Be an entertaining Mc Queens round too.
Robin128

#20 Post by Robin128 »

kingburyshot wrote:6x55 has worked well for me these past fifteen years, it has a good range of bullet heads so you can match it to the type of deer you are stalking, not too much noise or recoil so it is easy to shoot and does not offend the neighbours much. Most importantly the long bullets seem very lethal. Be an entertaining Mc Queens round too.
And I dare say shoots straighter than a 308win.

;)