Humane Dispatch

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
DL.

Humane Dispatch

#1 Post by DL. »

I'm in disbelief that these firearms officers were disciplined for gross misconduct over the dispatch of a deer at the roadside.

Seems to me that the police service has lost the skill of two officers who offered a practical approach.

Putting an animal out of it's misery at the road side in Scotland is legal, using a blunt object (read hammer) provided it can't be proved that the animal was caused any additional distress. Since when did the hand wringing apologists run this country?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-30947899
soggy0ne
Home club or Range: St.Giles Yarners

Re: Humane Dispatch

#2 Post by soggy0ne »

Could not agree more with DL, ludicrous decision, as to when the hand wringing started I would guess after The Second World war. Could well be argued that they are not qualified in humane dispatch only human dispatch!
nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

#3 Post by nickb834 »

It's a stupid outcome for sure - however - if the standard practice was to dispatch said animal with firearms (according to the article) and said coppers were equipped with such - then why did they go for a crowbar?

I have sympathy for them - but a moments lack of judgement has resulted in a stupid decision.
ordnance

#4 Post by ordnance »

Why send firearms officers if they were not going to use their firearms if necessary. Any officer could have hit it over the head with a bar. Stupid illogical decision by the officers and now they are paying for it.
Putting an animal out of it's misery at the road side in Scotland is legal, using a blunt object (read hammer) provided it can't be proved that the animal was caused any additional distress
Did the incident happen in Scotland. I can understand that method if there was no other option to dispatch the animal, but there was another option in this case.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#5 Post by Les »

I think the correct decision has been made. I believe it was totally unnecessary to dispatch the animal with a crowbar instead of shooting it. I think it was done for their own amusement rather than the best interests of the animal.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#6 Post by Andy632 »

ordnance wrote:Why send firearms officers if they were not going to use their firearms if necessary. Any officer could have hit it over the head with a bar. Stupid illogical decision by the officers and now they are paying for it.
Putting an animal out of it's misery at the road side in Scotland is legal, using a blunt object (read hammer) provided it can't be proved that the animal was caused any additional distress
Did the incident happen in Scotland. I can understand that method if there was no other option to dispatch the animal, but there was another option in this case.

What part of Durham didn't you get?????????? 8-)
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
ordnance

#7 Post by ordnance »

What part of Durham didn't you get??????????
My point if it did not happen in Scotland , what has what's legal in Scotland got to do with it. I could have put it in a smart ass way like you, but was being subtle. :)
Mike A
Home club or Range: Grove

#8 Post by Mike A »

I imagine there's a lot of paperwork whenever they discharge a firearm.
Discontent is the first necessity of progress.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#9 Post by meles meles »

Bandaging too...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
ordnance

#10 Post by ordnance »

I imagine there's a lot of paperwork whenever they discharge a firearm.
I suspect they had a lot more paper work and hassle after what happened.