Which lamp?

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
alan108

Which lamp?

#1 Post by alan108 »

At the moment i'm using a Ledray GL4 on my rifles,but, really want a hand held lamp as well.I've looked at the Lightforce range,but,which one would suit my needs? I shall be shooting at a MAXIMUM of 200yards.Or shall I look at different makes?If so,which ones?

Thanks.

Alan :)
alan108

Re: Which lamp?

#2 Post by alan108 »

Thanks for all the replies, oh, just noticed,there isn't one. :?
Just thought, my post was about a shooting matter on a shooting forum,should have realised that if it's not about:-
a, bashing the police,
b, complaining about the state of the economy,
or c, moaning about the past and present governments,
my post would be ignored.
I'll go off to another forum and post on there,perhaps I might get some replies.

Alan ;)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well I watched it with interest as well Alan but honestly cannot reply as I have no experience of lamping, closest I get is a small torch in my shooting bag just in case.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

I have moved this thread into the Hunting section, perhaps there are some hunters about on the forum with experience in hunting with lamps?

Anyone?
alan108

#5 Post by alan108 »

Thanks Christel, it's a bit disheartening to post and not get any replies,I honestly thought there would have been SOMEONE to help. :(

Alan :(
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

Cant help either in relation to lamping, I have bought my fair share of lamps and torches over the years and can not decide if it is better to buy cheap and perhaps often - although not always the case or expensive and less often - but again not always the case.

I do a bit of cycling and know that bulb and battery size/performance has jumped forward in the last few years. It is now possible to have something realitively small - certainly that could fit on a rifle, which is also incredibly powerful for their size, but those units are very expensive by other standards. I would not know if the beam would be tight enough for lamping.
http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/b ... er_page=20

Someone did post a couple of months back saying that they had bought a big name unit that they were not happy with, perhaps if you could do a search an PM them they might give you the heads up on which unit it was so the you can avoide it?

Good luck,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

HID lights:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xenon-HID-Light-C ... 2310105192

This is an example, you can actually get single ones for motorbikes as well, they use less energy than a normal halogen and give off a lot more light. I fitted one to a motorbike and although only 35 watts versus the original 55 watts it gave a huge amount light out. Conversion is simple as well. It makes me wonder if you can get a cheapish 12 volt tight beam lamp, convert it to HID and run a gel acid battery like you get in alarm systems on a belt pack. I am sure it would outshine anything on the market (Other than a HID!)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#8 Post by Robin128 »

Sorry Alan...don't do lamping.

Too crock for that now.

:(
alan108

#9 Post by alan108 »

Robin128 wrote:Sorry Alan...don't do lamping.

Too crock for that now.

:(
just like me Robin, the furthest I walk is 30yards,prefering to sit in the car and shoot from there :lol: .

Alan :D
alan108

#10 Post by alan108 »

DM and ovenpaa, two very interesting links, food for thought there, many thanks.

Alan :D