Malta bird hunting vote

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Christel
Site Admin

Malta bird hunting vote

#1 Post by Christel »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32239141

Tradition and conservation clash.
Dougan

Re: Malta bird hunting vote

#2 Post by Dougan »

If the hunters could be trusted to stick to sustainable quotas and not shoot protected species then it wouldn't be a problem...but can your trust them?
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#3 Post by Demonic69 »

So penalise all for the few bad ones instead of attempting some sort of policing? Sounds like the UK!
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#4 Post by saddler »

This was on BBC Radio 4 last night.

The anti-woman sounded like a right doing-bat

Seems that the issue is Malta has more seasons for shooting birds than other parts of Europe...an extra spring season (pre-breeding)
Not sure on the quotas (if any) but it'd make more sense to carry out shooting AFTER a species has reproduced, esp. if said species was not too common
Dougan

#5 Post by Dougan »

Demonic69 wrote:So penalise all for the few bad ones instead of attempting some sort of policing? Sounds like the UK!
I agree, but it costs money to police the regulations and folk are very unwilling to spend money on the environment...and also I tend to agree with Saddler on this...
Dougan

#6 Post by Dougan »

saddler wrote:Seems that the issue is Malta has more seasons for shooting birds than other parts of Europe...an extra spring season (pre-breeding)
Not sure on the quotas (if any) but it'd make more sense to carry out shooting AFTER a species has reproduced, esp. if said species was not too common
The quotas were in the article; which seemed reasonable, but a sustainability study would need to be done to see if they were appropriate...

...as you say; the extra 'spring season' is a big part of the issue, and the Maltese get another crack at the birds in the Autumn when they're on their way back...

...personally I would rather see a sensible and sustainable solution (certainly restrict shooting to locals, and not visitors)...but I'm not sure about an outright ban; it'd be a bit hypocritical as I ate 4 quails in a single sitting last time I was in Egypt.
DL.

#7 Post by DL. »

Just what shooting needs - more regulation! :o

Hunting is hugely unpopular with those who don't participate.
Dougan

#8 Post by Dougan »

That may be true D.L but if you get more and more hunters and less and less pray things rapidly become unsustainable...there's tons of documented evidence over the last 200 years of hundreds of species becoming extinct due to over-hunting...

...at the end of the day once a species is gone there's none left for the hunters, let alone anyone else to enjoy...

...unless you're happy with hunting a species to extinction and then just moving on to another, then there has to be some restrictions in some cases...

...though I do feel sorry for some hunters, as when restrictions and quotas are put in place what tends to happen is that market forces can take over, meaning that only those who can afford it get to go hunting...
whoowhoop

#9 Post by whoowhoop »

Well, the Maltese hunters won the vote - albeit by a small majority.
They view it as their heritage, like their bird catching, and if they had lost I have to say I could not see them really complying with a law imposed by outsiders.
The church is on their side in this matter as well.
Hunting is quite regulated in Malta, and it is not possible to just get a gun and go shooting.Hunting permissions are very jealously guarded and not come by easily.
police.gov.mt/en-us/firearmslicenses.aspx

With regard to species being driven to extinction or the brink it tends to be when there is a commercial aspect. That is one of the reasons why punt guns have a restricted bore size and why wild geese cannot be legally sold. It is also why Brent geese are off the quarry list.
You can quote the Passager pigeon as an example of senseless killing, but its demise was not because of sport shooting, just greed.
Personally, I think full protection is not the best thing for most species. Maintaining a population for sporting purposes is a valuable asset, and not just the price on the head of the animal.
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
Dougan

#10 Post by Dougan »

Well there we have have it; thanks WW.

Btw: with the Passenger pigeon , it was the railway that was the ultimate cause of their extinction...there was a limit to how many could be stored and eaten before they spoiled; but after the rail linked the hunting areas to the eastern cities the birds could be in the restaurants in 3 days...