Which sling?

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Which sling?

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a sling for a hunting rifle?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

Re: Which sling?

#2 Post by Robin128 »

One doesn't realise how important a question that is, until one drops it on its scope!

I've got several slings...all with good fittings.

:)
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

Ouch!

Actually I still have to smile thinking of my husband who came limping over to me with a painful grimace on his face, he had just dropped his AI with the barrel end first down onto his little toe. Pretty kewl I thought, nothing happened to the barrel, feck it he thought, broken toe.

It wasn't broken...but you know men, they always have to dramatise.

Waaha ha ha
:lol: :lol: :P
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

christel wrote:It wasn't broken...but you know men, they always have to dramatise.

Waaha ha ha
:lol: :lol: :P
You can go off people you know! Luckily it was still in its drag bag and as I lowered it off my right shoulder the strap slipped down my arm and wham the rifle hit my little toe barrel first, rifle was fine ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

Can't beat baler twine! Use two bits if its a heavy rifle.
:lol:
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

Here we go FB style.

Other good use for baler twine...Tie some 'round your waste over a coat...keeps you warm.

Polchraine...no jokes about pretty sheeps...

:D
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

Rob, must be a welsh thing!

;)
Dangermouse

#8 Post by Dangermouse »

I understand now why you commented on the hole at the end of the AIM bags,
A barrel could easily slip through there to attack your toes!
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I was using my trusty old L96A1 bag that came off eBlag for under a tenner, it came without straps so I added some ALICE straps and there lies the problem, they are of a synthetic material that is quite slippery so as I rolled it off my right shoulder it just got away from me, luckily I was wearing boots, having broken two toes in that foot already I really did not want to make it a hat trick!

On the subject of bailing twine I remember seeing a picture of an Indian Army sniper climbing scaffolding during the Mumbai massacre. He had a Dragunov SVD over his shoulder and was using some blue polypropylene rope as a sling.
/d

Shed Journal
barney57

#10 Post by barney57 »

My advice would be is to makesure that you attach both ends of the sling to both ends of the rifle... 8-) :lol:
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Cede Nullis (Yield to None)
Kernow Bys Vyken (Cornwall for ever)