HUNTS...not sure I've spelled that correctly...

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Countryman

Re: HUNTS...not sure I've spelled that correctly...

#21 Post by Countryman »

Frankly it's not something I have ever heard of but I do know that some areas are left as conservation zones and provide Fox cover.

The fox has no natural predator. Their numbers must be managed and nobody wants to see them wiped out as they themselves form part of the ecological balance.
Browning_grrl

#22 Post by Browning_grrl »

Does anyone over there not hunt/trap fox with a view to selling the pelts? This year Red Fox is bringing around 10 UK pounds per at the auctions, so I just wondered, coz the horse/dog thing seems a bit wasteful from that point of view since the pelts would presumably not be really usable.
Countryman

#23 Post by Countryman »

No we don't. Every inch of land in our little rainy islands is owned by someone and securing and land to hunt on is a feat of optimism and endurance over experience.

If man hadn't screwed up the balance by eradicating bear and wolves then foxes wouldn't be a population issue. Wolves would have done much the same as hounds. Not so much barbaric as the natural order.
Browning_grrl

#24 Post by Browning_grrl »

yes, that makes sense. Although, with our climate & geography, wolves don't often inhabit the same ranges as foxes. Their main predators are coyotes in most areas, at least where I hunt. Some of us do our bit to try and control 'yote numbers (which are WAY outta control in some places) & the pelts bring a much better price than fox, usually. :)
North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

#25 Post by North Star »

Back to the topic of raising animals for the purpose of hunting them. I was part of a pheasant shooting syndicate before I moved to Canada, and if you managed to shoot 25% of the birds you released into the woods, you were doing well! The piece of cow that I bought from the butchers never had those odds!
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.
Chuck

#26 Post by Chuck »

Countryman, I have no issues of animals killed for food my friend, far from it.

Animals killed just for someone to get off on it is just wrong IMO. Breeding foxes that will probably be used to humans at some point then releasing them to "hunt" them down and kill them is neither hunting or sport IMO.

If they really want to hunt there's plenty of deer etc...pheasant etc end up in the pot, not slaughtered and left on a fence or buried somewhere. How many eat fox???
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Countryman

HUNTS...not sure I've spelled that correctly...

#27 Post by Countryman »

Chuck I have never heard the like of this and given the source I would take it with a pinch of salt.

However, pheasant, park deer, grouse and I could make a very long list here are bread for sporting interests. People derive income from the exploitation of animals. Whether this be for their fur, flesh or the thrill of the hunt factually makes zero difference. Whether they charge across country on horses or stalk over glens, no difference.

As I assume a shooter on a shooting site I'm really surprised to see so many turning on our cousins.

Maybe Firearms UK have something in this unity campaign thing.
Dougan

#28 Post by Dougan »

Countryman wrote:Really don't know where you are coming from with this Dougan.

I now completely disregard anything that comes from the frothing vegans at LACS. Don't you recognise the same kind of language and slander coming our way from Gun Control Network?

I live in a rural idyll. The local hunt form a pivotal role in the local rural community. My girls have come up through their Pony Club in which I am involved. I have friends who make a living out of clipping, farriering, exercising, training and upkeep of horses. These aren't great paying jobs but jobs are hard to come by here abouts.

Husband of a friend works with the hounds. When my sheep die they have to go to the kennel for disposal, I'm not allowed to bury or burn them.

Hunt does a lot of charity stuff too.

Keeping sheep and chickens I'm glad of anything that keeps the numbers of foxes in control. Still plenty to shoot!

When I lived in "the smoke" I didn't understand the need but now I see how it all fits together I'm a convert. For the death of a few, old, incautious or unwell foxes this is a rural tradition I can live with.

Moreover why would anybody stand up for the morally dubious sport of shooting if we don't stand up for them?
You talk like the hunt singularly support the equine industry; what about eventing, racing, jumping and hacking? - The hunt doesn't have to close down...they can drag a scent; as some successfully do...but in my opinion, if someone can't enjoy their day without a fox being killed then they're a bit odd...

And...shooting isn't a morally dubious sport.
Dougan

#29 Post by Dougan »

Countryman wrote:
Chuck wrote:No excuses for breeding to kill just for fun, end of.

Surprised the Beeb and LACS missed this gem of sickness!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/-stopyulin201 ... ml#IxTiboD

Oh, but it'stheir culture some will say - yep,and so was foxhunting eh.
Frankly the exploitation of animals for profit is no different for the farmed steak you tuck into or hunting at a game farm in South Africa or the well stocked fishery that people go angling at.

Not all of us just shoot paper. Careful with those stones.
What!?...they're all different; and it depends where you personally stand as to which you think is OK or not.

Personally I'm pro hunting as long as the prey is sustainable, the methods are humane and I get invited for dinner...

...as someone pointed out last time this came up; it's a lot less stressful for an animal to be taken by surprise that be put through an abattoir...though as I want to eat beef I accept that as well.

Also, no one is throwing stones...this thread actually has nothing to do with shooting.
Dougan

#30 Post by Dougan »

Demonic69 wrote:People breed worms so they can catch the fish that were bred for catching, or do they not count because they're not cute? Equality!
Personally I don't like using 'live-bait', not even maggots; it's not like it'd be my last meal if I didn't catch...