HUNTS...not sure I've spelled that correctly...

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Dougan

Re: HUNTS...not sure I've spelled that correctly...

#31 Post by Dougan »

Browning_grrl wrote:Does anyone over there not hunt/trap fox with a view to selling the pelts?
Classic clapclap
Countryman

HUNTS...not sure I've spelled that correctly...

#32 Post by Countryman »

Dougan wrote:
Countryman wrote:Really don't know where you are coming from with this Dougan.

I now completely disregard anything that comes from the frothing vegans at LACS. Don't you recognise the same kind of language and slander coming our way from Gun Control Network?

I live in a rural idyll. The local hunt form a pivotal role in the local rural community. My girls have come up through their Pony Club in which I am involved. I have friends who make a living out of clipping, farriering, exercising, training and upkeep of horses. These aren't great paying jobs but jobs are hard to come by here abouts.

Husband of a friend works with the hounds. When my sheep die they have to go to the kennel for disposal, I'm not allowed to bury or burn them.

Hunt does a lot of charity stuff too.

Keeping sheep and chickens I'm glad of anything that keeps the numbers of foxes in control. Still plenty to shoot!

When I lived in "the smoke" I didn't understand the need but now I see how it all fits together I'm a convert. For the death of a few, old, incautious or unwell foxes this is a rural tradition I can live with.

Moreover why would anybody stand up for the morally dubious sport of shooting if we don't stand up for them?
You talk like the hunt singularly support the equine industry; what about eventing, racing, jumping and hacking? - The hunt doesn't have to close down...they can drag a scent; as some successfully do...but in my opinion, if someone can't enjoy their day without a fox being killed then they're a bit odd...

And...shooting isn't a morally dubious sport.
You quote pre-ban LACS propaganda like its fact Dougan.

There is a ban. It's not effective, it's hardly enforced and the likelihood of the Tories repealing it in the current climate is infinitesimally small.

In my opinion the hunt should be allowed to get on with it rather than have a load of left leaning bleeding hearts trying to enforce unwanted laws on their hobby. Sound a familiar cry to any shooters?

After all guns are monstrously powerful things designed to kill people. Having them out there in public hands for sport and slaying innocent animals in the millions. Yes morally dubious. Usual GCN type spin
Dougan

#33 Post by Dougan »

Well you're entitled to your opinion; so we'll have to agree to disagree...
Countryman

#34 Post by Countryman »

Nope we don't this is the internet not a marriage!

The death of any animal for food or sport or pelt does not vary in its degree of wrongness just because of its level of "cuteness". Unless you have killed for food or sport this may have passed you by. Meat is murder, hunting is murder, farming is murder no matter its reason or method. Morally indefensible! We could all eat Tofu and live in a countryside full of lovely fluffy animals.

Here's how it works Dougan. We start slagging the Hunt, then maybe the stalkers, the pheasant shooters and nibble nibble GCN will come a knocking for your TR sport and nobody will be left to argue against it.

Why on earth on a shooting forum would anyone bring up an anti hunt story from over a decade ago?
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#35 Post by Demonic69 »

So you reckon the fox hunting guys who don't shoot will support us shooters? Considering some of their supposed connections they've not done us any favours so far.
But you're right, divide and conquer. If only more sports saw it that way.
Dougan

#36 Post by Dougan »

Countryman wrote:Nope we don't this is the internet not a marriage!

The death of any animal for food or sport or pelt does not vary in its degree of wrongness just because of its level of "cuteness". Unless you have killed for food or sport this may have passed you by. Meat is murder, hunting is murder, farming is murder no matter its reason or method. Morally indefensible! We could all eat Tofu and live in a countryside full of lovely fluffy animals.

Here's how it works Dougan. We start slagging the Hunt, then maybe the stalkers, the pheasant shooters and nibble nibble GCN will come a knocking for your TR sport and nobody will be left to argue against it.

Why on earth on a shooting forum would anyone bring up an anti hunt story from over a decade ago?
OK then...see if you can answer a simple yes/no question without making irrelevant comment on it...

...do you think it's OK to hunt and kill deer and pheasants with dogs?
Countryman

#37 Post by Countryman »

Demonic69 wrote:So you reckon the fox hunting guys who don't shoot will support us shooters? Considering some of their supposed connections they've not done us any favours so far.
But you're right, divide and conquer. If only more sports saw it that way.
In my experience of the Hunt fraternity, many, including their kids shoot at least shotgun and are tuned in to the country way of life including hunting.

I suspect we would have good support from them.
Countryman

#38 Post by Countryman »

Dougan wrote:
Countryman wrote:Nope we don't this is the internet not a marriage!

OK then...see if you can answer a simple yes/no question without making irrelevant comment on it...

...do you think it's OK to hunt and kill deer and pheasants with dogs?
I won't make an irrelevant comment then.

On this occasion I will leave it to you Dougan.
Paul-Andrzej

#39 Post by Paul-Andrzej »

I was a member of LACS for many of my young years leaving when the Countyside Alliance was formed in the late 1990s (I think) and strangely enough when hunting with dogs was banned. That was when I had had enough of them and governments that ban things and I do wonder sometimes why I ever joined.
Paul-Andrzej

I'm not happy, but I'm not unhappy about it. Alan Bennett.
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#40 Post by Demonic69 »

Countryman wrote: In my experience of the Hunt fraternity, many, including their kids shoot at least shotgun and are tuned in to the country way of life including hunting.

I suspect we would have good support from them.
Pass the .22 petition around those you know, see how they do :-)