Shooting in open access woodland

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Shooting in open access woodland

#1 Post by safetyfirst »

So, a friend of mine has asked if I can do some squirrel control in his woods. He's got about 120 acres of woodland he bought off the forestry commission a few years ago and it's designated open access, which means the public can, and often do, roam around it with their dogs etc. I've not done anything other than target for a few years but back in the day I use to control squirrels into delicious pies.

Can anyone tell me what legal position is with regard to shooting on this land with air guns, shotguns and rimfire/centerfire rifles?

I'm presuming there isn't much of a distinction between rim/center/shotty but what's the position with regard to shooting on this land?

Ticket is open btw.

Anyone got any ideas?
zanes

Re: Shooting in open access woodland

#2 Post by zanes »

What do his deeds say re. sporting rights?
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#3 Post by safetyfirst »

zanes wrote:What do his deeds say re. sporting rights?
Oooh, I don't know, I'll check into that, good thinking!

lets presume for the sake of the question that he has full sporting rights over the land.
Chuck

#4 Post by Chuck »

Is there a difference between "Sporting Rights" and "pest control"??? ;)
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
zanes

#5 Post by zanes »

Actually, check his deeds thoroughly- he may have covenants specifying certain things, these can restrict use to "quiet enjoyment" or specifically forbid certain things.

Is he managing it himself or are the FC on board for open access stuff? Does he have a woodland management plan in place (I hope for his sake he does if it's open access!), and if so does it include shooting for pest control?

On the face of it, this looks like it could turn into a buck load of trouble if you're not careful.
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

safetyfirst wrote: I used to control squirrels into delicious pies.
Can you do water into wine as well?? lol All the squizzers i've tried have been vile :squirrel:

That situation sounds like a minefield to me, i certainly wouldn't use any rifles in there (unless the trees are few and far between <allowing clear sight of any people or animals coming into range> and the ground undulates heavily to provide a backstop). Any shotgun shooting would be up in the air, preferably with tree branches in the background to help contain the shot.

If access to the woods is from footpaths/pinch points, putting some warning signs up might be helpful, just don't use the word 'Danger' as apparently solicitors can have a field day with you as you're acknowledging what you're doing is dangerous 8-) 'Caution: Shooting in Progress' is more courtroom safe.

Make sure you're insurance is fully paid up and good luck! :good:
DVC
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Don't know the answer, but I'm interested in the outcome.

Centrefire seems a bit OTT for tree rats though :)
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#8 Post by Airbrush »

If you get the go ahead moderated .410 pa would be my choice.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#9 Post by safetyfirst »

I was thinking a hush power. I'll check the deeds. He manages the woodland exceptionally well in general and I know some people shoot here already with an air rifle but I'm not convinced anyone's actually looked into the legality of it yet.

Thanks for the answers all.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#10 Post by safetyfirst »

Oh, squirrel is delicious, trim all the meat off, fry with onions and a little bacon, caserole for a long time, it's lovely!