Hunting and self sufficiency

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Hunting and self sufficiency

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

This year I have decided the only meat I eat by the second half of the year will be something I have shot, or is shot by friends and passed on to me. So I am either going to eat a lot more vegetables or have a lot of fun. Luckily I only have to provide for myself and have no issues with eating the vast majority of things that cross my sights.

Is anyone else here solely eating what they shoot?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Hunting and self sufficiency

#2 Post by dromia »

Not any more as I have had to give up my 1/4 acre allotments, and skinning and butchering quarry is getting harder all due my hands and arms packing in.

Prior to 2010 though I grew all our own vegetables and killed and reared all my own meat and poultry, did that for 20 years or so. Prior to that I was vegetarian for nigh on ten years as didn't trust farmers and the food chain, had to give up on it as we were travelling a lot in Asia at the time and it was hard to get good protein for the kids on veg alone.

When I was vegetarian I never missed meat the only thing I had a desire for occasionally was good beef gravy.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

if I had the land / permissions I would like to do this. Although I would miss beef (dont think anyone is goona let me take out their cow, and its a bit big for me to just have for steaks lol
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#4 Post by daman »

An admirable ambition, something I'd love to do myself. I wish you great success!
Who? Me? Really?
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#5 Post by safetyfirst »

Very admirable and it'll keep you fit too! We do our best to only eat meat when we know the farm its come from or we can confirm its organic (free range, outdoor reared, outdoor bred aren't as idyllic as you might think)

Not eating meat that's been tortured is a good first step for those that don't have land or permissions.

Once we have enough power for a freezer on our land, hopefully we'll be producing all our own meat within the next 3/4 years but it'll be farmed aside from the occasional deer or boar.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

SF - I am already constantly aching from walking through the woodland round here, it all seems to be on a 45 degree slope! I will start taking the dog shortly so he can pick up for me.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#7 Post by safetyfirst »

Ovenpaa wrote:SF - I am already constantly aching from walking through the woodland round here, it all seems to be on a 45 degree slope! I will start taking the dog shortly so he can pick up for me.
Indeed, I'm feeding my kids a lot of pies to try and get them ready for a harness.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#8 Post by froggy »

have no issues with eating the vast majority of things that cross my sights
Whingy customers beware ... In the meantime, congratulations on your new resolution OvenPaa :good: Do you also fish ?
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Froggy, I used to be a very keen fly fisherman when we lived in Derbyshire however the Trout were not always so keen to take my flies. maybe I will try again one day.
/d

Shed Journal
Rab

#10 Post by Rab »

We are lucky enough to have five one acre plots were my wife grows our own spuds and veg. I hate anything to do with gardening so apart from tilling the soil and cutting grass she does and enjoys what she does. One of the plots we leave fallow for a season, the majority of the meat, fish and fowl we eat is all harvested game. Meat such as pork and beef we buy from a local farmer at pretty decent prices.