Redcats prize knife is in need of TLC

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Gazza

Redcats prize knife is in need of TLC

#1 Post by Gazza »

Ok chaps and chappesses....

The excellent knife which I got off Redcat has been used to the max over the last few days with some serious cane splitting and whittling being done and now the blade needs an edge putting back on it.
Sooo, not being a knifey person what is the best way to get the blade back to a Desperate Dan shaving level?
I've used this knife so much since I got it I now wonder how I got on so long without one :oops:

Any advice greatly appreciated :good:
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

Re: Redcats prize knife is in need of TLC

#2 Post by Triffid »

I use the Lansky knife sharpening kit. It's a bit fiddly but puts the best edge on a knife without too much skill involved.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#3 Post by Plumose »

I agree with Triffid, the Lansky system is very effective.
I have one like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lansky-Deluxe- ... ing+system
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Send it

#4 Post by Send it »

+1 on the Lansky System. Have had excellent results.

James
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#5 Post by DaveB »

The Lansky system is a good, easy to use system.

If I have time to spare though, I still like a good set of Arkansas stones. I inherited one from my Dad that's 70 years old if it's a day. He was a butcher back before the war, so knew a thing or two about sharpening knives. I still reach for it when I need an edge put on something.

So if you have little expertise in knife sharpening, the Lansky system with it's guides allows you to maintain the proper angle. IF you have the time and desire to learn the old fashioned way, a good Arkansas stone is the way to go. The Bushcraft Store in the UK sells a three stones-in-one set in a wooden holder that is a good starting point. http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/tri- ... -138-p.asp .
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

I have used the Lansky system for years with their Arkansas stone set, it was only used a few times a year as a whet stone keeps the edge for long enough if used regularly. I like the ceramic stone on the Lansky pocket sharpener I have as it is easy to pocket carry.

A few years ago I bought on speck a cheap Edge Pro copy for around £12, the guide and frame are just great the weakness being the stones which only lasted about sharpening all my blades twice. I then bought some Edge Pro stones that were on sale and a member here made me some chamfered aluminium backing plates to stick the stones too and I haven't looked back, the Lansky is good but the Edge Pro system is far better and the cheap chinky knock off continues to do the job well and that system was well cheaper than the Lansky including the Edge Pro stones.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

I treated myself to a work sharp ken onion edition, bit pricey but great bit of kit, and can be used as a general linisher for other tasks.

main reason I got it was the scrapivore knife i have was a bit hard and other sharpening metods didn't seem to touch it.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Gazza

#8 Post by Gazza »

Thanks for the replies chaps.
The order is in progress :good: