Legality of lock knife

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Gazza

Legality of lock knife

#1 Post by Gazza »

Am I allowed to use and transport to and from my permission a 4" bladed lock knife? The shoot is on private land with no public access.
Is having it on my person for the purpose of skinning/gutting good enough reason?
BamBam

Re: Legality of lock knife

#2 Post by BamBam »

You're going hunting and you want good reason to have a hunting knife?
Gazza

#3 Post by Gazza »

Its not particularly the hunting part its the transporting with it in my pocket.
I wont be hunting while Im in the car :good:

From Gov site.

Lock knives
Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.
Examples of good reasons to carry a knife or weapon in public can include:

taking knives you use at work to and from work
taking it to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
if it’ll be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, for example the kirpan some Sikhs carry
if it’ll be used in a demonstration or to teach someone how to use it
Last edited by Gazza on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BamBam

#4 Post by BamBam »

Mine stays in my rucksack, in the boot, until I get where I need it. Have a non locking folder in my pocket daily.
ozone
Home club or Range: Thorpe Cloud

#5 Post by ozone »

I remember a discussion about a Russian rifle that has a permanently
affixed bayonet, he could carry the rifle legally and get arrested for the
bayonet.

ozone
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

ozone wrote:.

bayonet.

ozone
Wasn't that in Scotland?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#7 Post by breacher »

ozone wrote:.

bayonet.

ozone
Madness. The theory was that a bayonet is a made offensive weapon.

However - so is the steel or brass buttplate on every old service rifle. They are not there for comfort. They are there for use as a club to crack skulls.

Would be an easy one to defend at court if anybody was daft enough to prosecute.

Then of course you have "lawful authority or reasonable excuse" - I would contend that the FAC is lawful authority in this case.

And to be pedantic.....although we often say our firearms are not "weapons" - old service rifles actually fit the UK legal definition of an "made" offensive weapon !
Last edited by breacher on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

it's no problem. length of knife is irrelevant.

You need good reason, your good reason is that you are going hunting and need it for skinning. that's all the good reason you need.

as for keeping it in the boot etc, your car is not an extension of your home, it is more the equivilent of a backpack, so where it is stored while you are travelling to the permission is the same as any other. pocket is fine. the boot is not a magical safe location in your car. You might find a the police being more accepting of you having a knife with you and having it in the boot, but that is just their perception, with no legal grounding as far as i'm aware. Normally I have a locking blade in with stuff in my shooting kit as that is what I carry into the range, so it makes sense for it to be there, but if you are just wandering around a field with a rifle or shotty, then you are not really going to have much of a bag, so it makes sense it is in your pocket.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#9 Post by Dark Skies »

Gazza wrote:Am I allowed to use and transport to and from my permission a 4" bladed lock knife? The shoot is on private land with no public access.
Is having it on my person for the purpose of skinning/gutting good enough reason?
The UK is a funny old place. Honest citizens agonize over such matters as whether they're 'allowed' to go about their business with a bladed tool they intend to use; or whether just having a handy Swiss folding tool kit is technically breaking the law because it has a locking 2 1'2" blade among all the doodads for hooking out boy scouts from horses hooves 'n' such.

Meanwhile real thugs wander about with Jif lemons full of acid and butterfly knives and don't give it a second thought.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

"Work" reasons extend to lawful sport and past times and per the express defences in s139 Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1988. By virtue of the same Act, folding pocket knives with a cutting edge of less than 3"/7.6cm are exempt and no "good reason" is required for possession in public. However, Harris v DPP 1992 and R v Deegan assert that a locking folding knife, regardless of blade length, is a fixed blade.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!