BREAKING: UK bans pigeon and crow shooting

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Gazza

Re: BREAKING: UK bans pigeon and crow shooting

#111 Post by Gazza »

Plecotus wrote:and the more this happens, the more the public will cry out for a ban on all firearms ownership. We are supposed to be the most law-abiding sector of society. All this kind of behaviour suggests is that the vetting processes for firearms and shotgun licences doesn't work.

Like it or not, we're a minority community. if public firearm ownership was put to a referendum tomorrow, I think we'd all be crying by Friday. Comments like Gazza's, which appear to support this kind of action, only play further into the anti's hands.
FFS!!! wtf
Plecotus
Home club or Range: Monmmouth & District Rifle Club, NRA, Chepstow Rifle Club

#112 Post by Plecotus »

Gazza wrote:
Plecotus wrote:and the more this happens, the more the public will cry out for a ban on all firearms ownership. We are supposed to be the most law-abiding sector of society. All this kind of behaviour suggests is that the vetting processes for firearms and shotgun licences doesn't work.

Like it or not, we're a minority community. if public firearm ownership was put to a referendum tomorrow, I think we'd all be crying by Friday. Comments like Gazza's, which appear to support this kind of action, only play further into the anti's hands.
FFS!!! wtf
Funnily enough, that was my first thought when I read your comments too but I am too well-mannered to post such a comment.
Laurie

#113 Post by Laurie »

Totally agree. This is unacceptable behaviour whatever the arguments and passions. We're supposed to be the 'good guys' in this argument. (Although without a lot of reasoned explanation as to why culling is done and why it's essential for the good of farming businesses and the countryside via the media - which we're very unlikely to see given journalistic attitudes and priorities - we'll be seen as blood spattered sadists by a large section of the public come what may, even if we only shoot paper.)

I suspect where the real passion and hence anger arises is that this isn't only, or even primarily, about recreational pursuits. A combination of EU obsessive regulatory drive, probably none too good parliamentary draftmanship when directives became British law, NE incompetence, and actions by dedicated 'antis' determined to seek out every possible loophole to get their way irrespective of the wider consequences has put people's incomes and livelihoods at risk.

People get really worked up when this happens though a deliberate policy and course of action by one-issue 'activists' as here. Just imagine if the Greenpeace activists found a similar legal loophole and forced a shutdown of any form of transport using an internal combustion engine. Before you could say 'lynching party' they'd have a greater need to go underground and have police protection than Salman Rushdie ever did after the publication of the 'The Satanic Verses'. These factors don't make threats right or decent, but that's the way of the world. In many countries even in Europe, never mind the middle and far east, something like this would see mobs on the streets and farmers blocking roads and railway lines. Go back to the 18th and 19th century riots in this country and we'd have seen something like this too.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#114 Post by Pete »

Plecotus just said it all..............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Gazza

#115 Post by Gazza »

OK, let me clear something up.
I do not condone any death threats on packham or anyone I was simply making a statement which seems to have been taken the wrong way by a few.
I will put it another way.....
Statement: If you p*** into the wind you will get it back.
Christel
Site Admin

#116 Post by Christel »

Gazza wrote:OK, let me clear something up.
I do not condone any death threats on packham or anyone I was simply making a statement which seems to have been taken the wrong way by a few.
goodjob

Now I do wonder if it is entirely Pckham's doing, this ban.
Maybe he is just the public figure head and Wild Justice is the main culprit.
Gazza

#117 Post by Gazza »

christel wrote:
Gazza wrote:OK, let me clear something up.
goodjob

Now I do wonder if it is entirely Pckham's doing, this ban.
Maybe he is just the public figure head and Wild Justice is the main culprit.
The newly appointed boss of Natural England is Packhams friend apparently. It stinks, the whole lot of it.
The ban was all done and dusted and implemented in less than 36 hrs wtf
I have a friend who works for Natural England and to say their arses are nipping at the moment is an understatement :D
swotty
Home club or Range: FDPC & NRA

#118 Post by swotty »

Totally agree...... whoever is sending threats etc isn't doing the shooting community any favours. We're better than that, a few potentially ruining it for the many.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using "An application"
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#119 Post by kennyc »

swotty wrote:

Totally agree...... whoever is sending threats etc isn't doing the shooting community any favours. We're better than that, a few potentially ruining it for the many.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using "An application"
theres no evidence that it was someone from the shooting community, however regardless of that, threats of violence are never justified, and should be condemned vigorously (as indeed they have been on every forum I have read) the fact that horrifying amounts of abuse and threats of torture and death are common on even some of the open media such as FB from anti's is no excuse for making threats ourselves, and I hope whoever was responsible in this case is caught and punished (I would also like for the Police to trawl through some of the anti sites and start taking their threats as seriously as they appear to have taken these)
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#120 Post by safetyfirst »

Every time this happens, or in fact every time we get a free day at the weekend, we need to get someone who’s not shot before and take them out shooting.

The only way public opinion will change is if more of the public see how much fun, satisfaction and pleasure shooting can bring.

So save your online forum rants people and instead call that mate who once said they’d like to come and give it a go.