Non-native species

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Gazza

Re: Non-native species

#11 Post by Gazza »

Ovenpaa wrote: I have seen a lot of things in the Wolds however that is a first for me.
This could have been a werewolf. Best load up some silver :good:
Christel
Site Admin

#12 Post by Christel »

Gazza wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote: I have seen a lot of things in the Wolds however that is a first for me.
This could have been a werewolf. Best load up some silver :good:
I know for a fact we do not have werewolfs here, dragons on the other hand has been seen frequently.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#13 Post by TRG-22 »

Polchraine wrote:Yesterday afternoon, I was looking out of the study and could see:
  • Muntjac - 25m away just wandering around and jumping up at the foliage
    Ring Necked Parakeet - 10m away in a tree and it remained there for at least a couple of hours
    Grey Squirrels - several
All of them are non-native and would have been easy safe targets and had I checked the river there would have been Amaerican Signal Crayfish too.
Dunno about the parakeet (screechers we call them round here), but at least 3 out of 4 are good eating. I remember years ago reading about some cunning sod who'd got a contract from DEFRA to cull signal crayfish somewhere, and was also making money selling the little blighters to restaurants.

But how long does a species have to be here before it is considered native? Afte all, go back far enough and none of us are.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
jack Mack

#14 Post by jack Mack »

Polchraine wrote:Yesterday afternoon, I was looking out of the study and could see:
  • Muntjac - 25m away just wandering around and jumping up at the foliage
    Ring Necked Parakeet - 10m away in a tree and it remained there for at least a couple of hours
    Grey Squirrels - several
All of them are non-native and would have been easy safe targets and had I checked the river there would have been Amaerican Signal Crayfish too.
I live 150 yards away from the Tay and yesterday went for my lockdown exercise. I couldn't believe the damage being caused by beavers both from borrowing into the banks and felling trees. Also invasive species but protected by our Scottish Government. Now we have positive comments on the release of wolves and lynx in Scotland. You only have to speak to the Norwegians who will tell you of the problems they have with wolves killing domestic dogs and would now appear to be losing their fear of humans.
Madness.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#15 Post by TRG-22 »

What's madness is to think that it is right and proper for us to exterminate any other living creatures for our own convenience.

Actually, it's not just madness, it is morally disgusting.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#16 Post by snayperskaya »

TRG-22 wrote:What's madness is to think that it is right and proper for us to exterminate any other living creatures for our own convenience.

Actually, it's not just madness, it is morally disgusting.

Tell that to American farmers about feral hogs or Australian farmers about rabbits..........
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Coypu in East Anglia used to be a problem and the other one was the North American Skunk, again there used to be hoards of the things along the line of the A14
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#18 Post by meles meles »

Things used to be fine here until you bald monkeys climbed down out of the trees, trudged out of Afrikky and hopped over the Channel the last time it was dry...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#19 Post by snayperskaya »

Ovenpaa wrote:The Coypu in East Anglia used to be a problem and the other one was the North American Skunk, again there used to be hoards of the things along the line of the A14
Funny story there........me and a mate were night-fishing for pike on a Fenland drain many years ago and in the early hours of the morning there was a great deal of rustling in the reeds and in our torch light two "giant rats" appeared!.My and my mate packed up sharpish and beat a hasty retreat back to the car.Later that day we recounted our tale of "giant rats" to the owner of a local tackle shop, to which the guy started laughing and told us they were Coypu!.I'd never heard of them up until that day! lol

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#20 Post by snayperskaya »

meles meles wrote:Things used to be fine here until you bald monkeys climbed down out of the trees, trudged out of Afrikky and hopped over the Channel the last time it was dry...
At least we got rid of the cave bears and wolves for you!. :good: