BASC and lead shot....

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Sim G
Past Supporter

BASC and lead shot....

#1 Post by Sim G »

BASC now support a "self imposed" move away from lead shot, over the next five years.

"BASC has joined other rural organisations in issuing a statement on lead-free ammunition for live quarry shooting.

In consideration of wildlife, the environment and to ensure a market for the healthiest game products, at home and abroad, we wish to see an end to both lead and single-use plastics in ammunition used by those taking all live quarry with shotguns within five years.

We are jointly calling for our members to engage in this transition and work with us, the Gun Trade Association and the cartridge manufacturers to ensure that further viable alternatives are developed for every situation involving live quarry. This is an opportunity to take the initiative and ensure the reputation of the shooting community, as custodians of the countryside, is both maintained and enhanced."
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
RDC

Re: BASC and lead shot....

#2 Post by RDC »

Yet another betrayal as far as I am concerned.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

What concerns me about these little concessions which, on the face of it, seem reasonable enough (presumably steel shot does an equal job of killing stuff) is that sooner or later the next suggestion will be that I can't use soft lead in my BP revolvers. And the fact that shot gunners have moved to more eco-friendly alternatives will make my protestations seem 'unreasonable'.

This is why I love the American version of the NRA. No matter how reasonable the suggestion THEY will fight it tooth and nail. Even if it looks as if they are standing on a pile of dead kids, pandas, and kittens.
So the moment someone comes out with some clever wheeze they know it's gonna be a long expensive battle that may not be worth fighting. Our organizations should be like them.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#4 Post by Daryll »

Dark Skies wrote:What concerns me about these little concessions which, on the face of it, seem reasonable enough (presumably steel shot does an equal job of killing stuff) is that sooner or later the next suggestion will be that I can't use soft lead in my BP revolvers. And the fact that shot gunners have moved to more eco-friendly alternatives will make my protestations seem 'unreasonable'.

This is why I love the American version of the NRA. No matter how reasonable the suggestion THEY will fight it tooth and nail. Even if it looks as if they are standing on a pile of dead kids, pandas, and kittens.
So the moment someone comes out with some clever wheeze they know it's gonna be a long expensive battle that may not be worth fighting. Our organizations should be like them.
If you talk to many US shooters, their view of the NRA is not so rosy.... a lot of them are turning against the NRA due to the internal problems they've had, and that even the NRA have made some concessions.. i.e. bumpstocks..

But I agree, they're far better than our shooting organisations..
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

Daryll wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:What concerns me about these little concessions which, on the face of it, seem reasonable enough (presumably steel shot does an equal job of killing stuff) is that sooner or later the next suggestion will be that I can't use soft lead in my BP revolvers. And the fact that shot gunners have moved to more eco-friendly alternatives will make my protestations seem 'unreasonable'.

If you talk to many US shooters, their view of the NRA is not so rosy.... a lot of them are turning against the NRA due to the internal problems they've had, and that even the NRA have made some concessions.. i.e. bumpstocks..

I know. I'm a member of both. They're not perfect. But imagine their disappointment if their NRA was like our NRA.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#6 Post by Daryll »

Daryll wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:

I know. I'm a member of both. They're not perfect. But imagine their disappointment if their NRA was like our NRA.
I'm a member of both too.. and yes, they don't realise how good they've got it...
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

I was going to post about this and i'm a little surprised that this isn't in the general forum given the ramifications it WILL have for anyone using any kind of lead ammunition. i.e. 99.999% of us!

First its lead over wetlands, now its all live game. Once that's in, 'non-game'* cartridges prices will start ramping up and before you know it half the people shooting clays or PSG won't be able to afford it anymore, or at least, as much as they used to/would like to.

As Dark Skies mentioned, the focus will then turn to cast loads, then all lead ammo, even if copper jacketed, as each niche falls the rest seem less and less 'reasonable' to resist. End of making your own (legal) ammunition.

*many people who shoot PSG use 'game' loads e.g. 32gram #6's as they provide a more solid knock down for heavier/long distance plates than your bog standard 28g #7.5's 'clay' loads. Some guns also only function reliably on heavier loads.

Unless there are some budding alchemists that have been holding back this is a massive nail in shootings coffin IMO. :bad:

My membership to BASC will be cancelled this year (it was anyway because of the disgusting way they handled, or rather didn't handle a situation I found myself in last year through no fault of my own).
DVC
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

[quote="Blackstuff"]I was going to post about this and i'm a little surprised that this isn't in the general forum given the ramifications it WILL have for anyone using any kind of lead ammunition. i.e. 99.999% of us!

First its lead over wetlands, now its all live game. Once that's in, 'non-game'* cartridges prices will start ramping up and before you know it half the people shooting clays or PSG won't be able to afford it anymore, or at least, as much as they used to/would like to.

As Dark Skies mentioned, the focus will then turn to cast loads, then all lead ammo, even if copper jacketed, as each niche falls the rest seem less and less 'reasonable' to resist. End of making your own (legal) ammunition.

*many people who shoot PSG use 'game' loads e.g. 32gram #6's as they provide a more solid knock down for heavier/long distance plates than your bog standard 28g #7.5's 'clay' loads. Some guns also only function reliably on heavier loads.

Unless there are some budding alchemists that have been holding back this is a massive nail in shootings coffin IMO. :bad:

My membership to BASC will be cancelled this year (it was anyway because of the disgusting way they handled, or rather didn't handle a situation I found myself in last year through no fault of my own).[/quote

Concur.

Unfortunately I am stick with bloody BASC trade member ship as it is the only way you can get a Parcel Farce firearms account.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#9 Post by TRG-22 »

RDC wrote:Yet another betrayal as far as I am concerned.
So do you not accept that lead is a dangerously toxic substance?
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#10 Post by kennyc »

dromia wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:I was going to post about this and i'm a little surprised that this isn't in the general forum given the ramifications it WILL have for anyone using any kind of lead ammunition. i.e. 99.999% of us!

My membership to BASC will be cancelled this year (it was anyway because of the disgusting way they handled, or rather didn't handle a situation I found myself in last year through no fault of my own).[/quote

Concur.

Unfortunately I am stick with bloody BASC trade member ship as it is the only way you can get a Parcel Farce firearms account.
just a quick question, I know the original post mentioned BASC and I know BASC is always ripe for a kicking amongst some folk, but I am surprised no one has mentioned all the other co signatories of this release? is it just another opportunity for spleen venting?